Home
Weekly Rides
Event Rides
Newsletter
Club Business
Report Map Issues
Membership
Links
Contact Us
Sign In

2014 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

January 14, 2014

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, L. Miles, H. Sangster, B. Luoma, K. Owen, L. Morriss, C. Foland, C. Hoy

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $1,939.52
Ride Events 1,665.90
Money Market 19,234.89
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
PayPal 269.01
Total $33.185.31

Welcome New Board Members/Officer Elections: David welcomed the SBC's new Board members Carolyn Foland and Chris Hoy. The Board elected Kari Owen to be the Treasurer and Hersch Sangster to be the Secretary

Financial Report: David distributed the annual report for the Board's Review. The February Board meeting will be when the Board prepares the budget for 2014. David mentioned the bylaws call for an audit. Chris will check in on information on the SBC doing a self-audit.

Volunteer/10/500/Road Animal/SBC Jerseys: Hersch indicated SBC sweatshirts have been ordered for the volunteers, the Road Animal awards, PEDAL and Battered Saddle are at Salem Trophy to be picked up on January 23rd.

The Board reviewed the Volunteer points for 2013. Top Volunteers are ones with 20+ points. David did give credit to Ride Leaders that had not sent in their ride sheets. The Board set the minimum for Bike Shop certificates at $5 for this year. 1 point given for helpers at the Ankeny Novice Rides. Hersch discussed the list of Road Animals for 2013. The Board approved only those SBC members that did 2500+ miles and either rode or helped at the Peach and the Cookie as required in the Road Animal Award policy.

Hersch indicated that ordering of jerseys is on the SBC website and all the bugs appear to be taken care of. Now there is a 15-item minimum the SBC must meet. However they now include a long sleeve and jackets with the SBC design. Hersch will have the sizing packet at the Banquet for members. Orders have to be in by February 10 to have by April.

Peach/Cookie Review: Larry is finishing the Cookie Manual and will be meeting with his committee soon. Hersch will form a committee to first look at the date for the Peach and the route. Eileen Tilque, Carolyn, David and John Sangster have volunteered to help. Hersch will report back ASAP to the Board on the recommended date. The Board discussed dates from August through September and it was suggested that September 14 might be okay. The Peach Committee will look into this.

Annual Banquet: Larry indicated that the Banquet will be on January 26 at Willamette University. He is working to confirm the menu and the room since there was a mix-up with the caterer. Larry is hopeful to work things out. Tim Sinatra or someone from the B&G Club will be the speaker.

Other: For annual membership it was suggested that people should be able to complete registration online as a convenience. The SBC will be looking into whether this possible and desirable.

Keizer Rotary is planning a ride for Polio in June either on the 22nd or 29th. Chuck Fisher and Hersch are the organizers. More information to come.

Salem Sunday Streets will be September 7 from 12 to 4 pm. The SBC will have a booth and other activities.

February 11, 2014

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, L. Miles, H. Sangster, B. Luoma, K. Owen, L. Morriss, C. Foland, C. Hoy, D. Parrow

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $2,982.53
Ride Events 1,655.93
Money Market 14,235.58
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
PayPal 649.79
Totals $29,609.82

SBC Safety/ Education Committee: The Salem Bicycle Club actively promotes bike safety to cyclist, local governments' public entities. Doug is working with local safety agencies, Oregon Parks and Recreation and with Marion County Sheriff's office to improve bike routes and the enforcement of laws protecting cyclists. It would strengthen the SBC cause if Doug represented the SBC at these meetings. Hersch is on the Traffic Safety/Bikeways/Pedestrian Committee and Planning Commission in Keizer and is on the Salem-Keizer Transit Budget Committee and is a bicycle advisor for them. Kiki Sangster is active in doing education on Safe Routes to School with ODOT Traffic Safety and is connected with Salem-Keizer Schools. The Board approved the formation of a Safety/Education Committee and recommended that Doug, Hersch with Kiki to be the initial members. Doug and Hersch were appointed co-chairs. Doug has an incident report form that will be available through the Club's website that cyclists can use to report safety related incidents. These reports will help the Committee in reporting and discussing safety issues with agencies and in doing education. Doug and Hersch will develop goals for the Board to review in the future.

Annual Financial Report: David distributed the information on past expenditures and proposed budget for 2014 for the Board's review. The proposed budget was reviewed and discussed. The proposed budget item for outreach was set at $100 for 2014. With the increasing amount of outreach that the SBC did in 2013, Hersch suggested it might be higher. The Board felt that the $100 was adequate for now and if there is a need it can be raised in the future, especially if we have a good Cookie. The Board approved the 2014 budget. David mentioned at the last Board Meeting that the bylaws call for an audit. Chris indicated that has the information on an approach for doing a self-audit that the Board will consider at the next Board meeting.

SBC Jerseys: Hersch indicated that Voler confirmed that we had met the 15 minimum item order by February 10.

Peach/Cookie Review: Larry is finishing the Cookie Manual and will be meeting with his committee soon. The Board reviewed the Cookie fees for this year. Several options were discussed. It was agreed that the SBC wants to encourage pre-registration and wants to keep fees low for kids. David noted that the cost for running the Cookie and the Peach are different. The Peach does cost more to run, so that fee schedule for the Peach may have to be looked at in the future. Hersch noted that the Cookie is our primary fundraiser, so we should set the fee so we can make money to fund the Club and community bike activities. Larry indicated that our profit margins have narrowed a lot in the past two years and it is time to do some fee changes. Larry felt that limiting T-shirts and lunch to pre-registrations would improve the accuracy of these orders. After some discussion, the Board approved the following fee schedule for 2014 Monster Cookie: Pre-Registrations Adult- $25; Children under 18 - $8; T-Shirt - $20 -Pre-registration only; Lunch $7.50 - Pre-registration Only; Day-of-of Ride: Adult $30; Children under 18 - $10 SBC and Portland Wheelmen members can get the Club discount, but only on pre-registration.

Board members were asked to help with the marketing of the Cookie. Carolyn indicated that she would like some flyers for Health Clinics and Wellness groups she sees. Doug generally takes some flyers to Courthouse Athletic Clubs and sends them to Oregon bike shops and clubs. Doug will send out a list of bike shops and other groups that routinely receive flyers. If Board members would like more so they can deliver them to other groups or individuals they should let Doug know. The $1 per rider this year will be for "Bicycle Safety Education in the Community". Larry and Doug will be working to get the website up and flyers available.

New Rides : Larry and Doug Tedrow will be starting a Tuesday Night Silverton Ride starting at Silverton High School. Rick Waring is working to put together a Thursday morning novice ride.

Other: At the last Board meeting it was suggested that individuals be able to join and renew club memberships online. Doug explained the process that might be required to do this, the website support that might be needed, and the possible cost. The Board agreed that this maybe a good idea, but that we are not in a position to implement it this year. The Board confirmed two awards it missed at the Annual Banquet: special award acknowledging the work that the been done over the past couple of years to revitalize the Rides Committee and a couple of whose volunteer contributions to Monster Cookie were missed. David and Hersch will make sure both contributions are recognized.

March 11, 2014

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, L. Miles, H. Sangster, B. Luoma, K. Owen, L. Morriss, C. Foland, C. Hoy, E. Cardella.

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $2,455.05
Ride Events 6,655.93
Money Market 14,235.58
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
PayPal 649.79
Total $29,082.34

The Board approved reimbursement of non- commercial copying (copies made when a receipt documenting the actual cost is missing) at $0.10 per copy. For event coordinators the Board recommended that self-reimbursements should always come through the Treasurer. Chris brought the self-audit documents to the meeting. David will be reviewing them to see if the SBC can implement a self-audit.

Boys & Girls Update: Eric Cardella from the Boys & Girls Club provided an update of the bike program and the Flow Riders. B&GC recently hired a new Youth Cycling Coordinator, Stefanie Smith. Stefanie has previously served as one of the athletics volunteers for girls' basketball, and she also works at Courthouse Fitness as an instructor. She is currently developing a training schedule for the new Flow Riders. Since things are starting late this year, they will likely not have a large group of kids who are ready to ride in the Monster Cookie event. However, those who are not ready to ride will still be able to volunteer at the event.The Boy & Girls Club are scheduling a maintenance work day for the Flow Riders bikes, as well as the BTA loaner fleet. The work day will take place Saturday, March 22 from 10am to 2pm at the Boys & Girls Club. Volunteers will need to bring their own tools and maintenance stands. Anyone who is interested in volunteering should contact Eric at ecardella@bgc-salem.org or 503-581-7383 ext 11.

Monster Cookie: Larry has the Monster Cookie Cook Book finished and will be distributing it to the Board members. David handed out flyers and applications for the Cookie to be distributed to the local area. Mailings had already gone out to members, past riders, other Clubs and bike shops. Larry asked about further advertising of the Cookie. The Board approved paying OR-Bike $450 (Rest Stop) level of advertising in its Northwest Online Newsletter. Larry will be getting an article in the Statesman Journal about the 38th year of the Cookie and Stu Smith Memorial. Larry would like two assistant coordinators. One to handle logistics (route marking, getting signs out, covering unsafe railroad crossings, coordinating the SAGS and taking SAG calls on the day of the ride and a one to help coordinate the packet stuffing. Carolyn indicated she could help with ride logistics, but could not take the lead. Preslee stated that everyone at the stuffing knows the duties and that he would be there that night to help. David indicated he would try to find a coordinator for the packet stuffing.

The Board discussed rider etiquette at the Cookie. The Board wants riders to be safe and have good manners towards each other and drivers. The Board wants the ride to be fun for all. Larry has spoken with some the Racing groups and has encouraged them to leave a little early on the route to reduce the number of faster and slower riders on the route at the same time. Carolyn will be developing an appropriate Safety Note to Riders for the packets and a display on the day of the ride that stresses the rules of the road and other safety/courtesy items. Larry will be meeting the Marion Sheriff Office and Keizer Police to arrange their presence and discuss bike safety with them. Volunteer recognition for working the Cookie was discussed. The Flow Riders have worked the Cookie in the past and have received Volunteer points. However, they also received free registration, lunch, and a t-shirt for the ride. The Board approved limiting the Flow Riders kids to receiving free ride registration and a lunch for their work, if they are riding or SBC Volunteer points if they help, but are not riding. Eric said that he agreed with this and that adults helping with the Flow Rider should register if they are planning to ride the Cookie. If the adults are supervising the kids and not really helping with the Cookie: they should not be getting SBC Volunteer points. The Boy & Girls Club does give recognition for volunteers already. Eric said he would be more involved this year and would help police this better on the Boys & Girls end. Volunteers at the packet stuffing and other Cookie volunteers will continue to get a t-shirt for their help.

The Board approved four $25 local bike shop gift certificates to be raffled for members wearing any SBC Jersey/Jacket and/or cycling shorts at the Monster Cookie. Just socks will not count. The drawing will be at the May General Meeting. Hersch will have the tickets at the day of the ride. Hersch will be setting up a memorial for Stu Smith at the Cookie. Stu was a longtime SBC member and a past Cookie Coordinator.  The one of the local racing clubs would like a booth at Champoeg to hand out information on the racing club. The Board approved them doing this since we are both promoting cycling.

Picnic Date: Preslee is checking out facilities in Keizer and maybe at Willamette Mission. The picnic will be in August.

David's Absence: Larry will cover David's absence at the March General Meeting and the meetings in April.

Speaker Gifts/2014 -10/500 Gifts: The Board approved continuing to give Volunteer Gifts to Speakers at our General Meeting. Hersch has the Spi-belts and caps available for this year. The Board approved using the 10/500 items (seat covers) at our outreach events like the Salem Hospital Health Fair and Salem Sunday Streets.

April 8, 2014

Present: P. Jeffers, L. Miles, H. Sangster, B. Luoma, K. Owen, L. Morriss, C. Hoy

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $6,683.49
Ride Events 7,427.39
Money Market 9,236.51
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
PayPal 114.88
Total 33,538.26

Monster Cookie: Larry has the Monster Cookie almost done. Permits and other arrangements have been made. Kari will check about Gluten-Free cookies. Larry has arranged for Gluten-Free lunches. Larry mentioned that OR-Bike had an article already on the Monster Cookie in this week's edition with links to our registration. The Statement Journal will do an article this Friday. Larry spoke with the racing groups about starting early around 8 am. The groups were receptive to this.

Bob and Larry will be checking out the equipment for the Cookie at the locker this Thursday. We will use the same railroad cover this year, but next year Bob will be looking into maybe using a converted conveyer belt for the railroad crossing. Larry said that Joanne Dewey would help coordinate the packet stuffing. Larry does need help arranging packets at registration table the day of the ride. He also needs more SAG people. The Board approved up to $100 for setting up a memorial for Stu Smith at the Cookie. Stu was a longtime SBC member and a past four term president of the SBC. Hersch will be arranging this along with the "Wear your Jersey" raffle at the Cookie. Picnic Date/November Meeting Date: Preslee is checking out facilities, maybe at Willamette Mission. The picnic will be August 23.

The Board approved making the November Elections/Potluck/Swap Meet always the third Tuesday of the month, to avoid the Thanksgiving week conflict. This year it will November 18 and the meeting will start at 6 pm.

May 13, 2014

Present: Kari Owen, David Philbrick, Lisa Morriss, Preslee Jeffers, Carolyn Foland

Treasurer’s Report    

Operating Fund: $12,967.69
Ride Events 8,964.19
Money Market 9,236.89
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
Pay Pal 3,405.85
Total: $44,650.61

Monster Cookie Debrief: With Larry absent and insufficient time for all the expenses to be cleared, the discussion was somewhat limited. Given the poor weather, ridership and day-of-ride registrations were down relative to past years. We are unsure if any money was made, but we are fairly certain we at least covered our costs. Volunteers supporting the Monster Cookie were applauded for doing an excellent job. People were also extremely thankful for the large tent that was obtained at the last minute for the beginning and end by the Capitol. Two accidents were reviewed. In downtown Salem a cyclist was hit by a driver. Salem Police responded and cited the driver. The officer also followed up and handled the situation extremely well. Another cyclist went down after hitting the plywood placed over the railroad tracks. We will revisit in June when we will have more complete information.

Peach Planning: It is time to seriously begin planning the Peach. Ideally, we would like to develop committees to lead both the Peach this year and the Monster Cookie next year. With a committee, a number of people can take responsibility for different parts of what needs to be done and no single person will have to do it all. The ride will take place on September 14. Carolyn Foland is reviewing changes recommended for the beginning of the route to consider whether the changes in elevation will increase the difficulty of the route. She will work with Hersch Sangster and the Rides Committee to finalize this year’s route. Ideas for increasing ridership for the Peach are encouraged. The type of cyclist who rides the Peach may be different from the Monster Cookie and possibly we should consider different marketing approaches. To do better at containing Peach costs the Board discussed providing shirts only to those who volunteer significant hours or on the day-of-the-ride (to help identify them as ride “officials”), and to riders who pre-pay and pre-order. Food costs can somewhat be controlled by purchasing items like energy bars from a vender where unused items can be returned. Not opening packaged food until it is needed (so unopened packages can be returned). Other opportunities for improving the ride this year included checking the route markings first thing in the morning (particularly if there has been rain).

Keizer Rotary End Polio Ride Request: The Board unanimously approved a motion to let Hersch Sangster use SBC equipment (road signs, drink buckets, tables, shelters, etc.) to help support a ride being organized by the Keizer Rotary to be held on June 29, 2014, as a fundraiser to help end Polio.

Projector Request: Hersch has requested the Board consider purchasing a new video projector, as he has not been able to connect newer computers to the ports on the existing projector. David brought an adaptor that he thinks will work to enable the existing projector to work with newer computers. Further discussion was tabled until we can determine if this will work and, if so, eliminate the need for a new projector at this time.

Summer Picnic: Preslee Jeffers has arranged to have the picnic this year on Saturday, August 9, at the park near Keizer’s City Hall. Jackie Lefevre is providing a check to Hersch Sangster to take to Keizer to finalize the reservation.
$1 Per Rider Donation: Use of the $1 per rider donation from the 2013 Peach ride was discussed. One suggestion was to purchase some helmets that could be given out, when appropriate, to help beginning riders. Given that the amount is relatively small (around $250) the Board also wanted to consider combining it with a similar donation for the 2014 Monster Cookie into a single, larger donation. Further discussion was tabled until a later meeting when we would have more information and more Board members present.

Silverton Rails to Trails: Rails-To-Trails: There is a suggestion that there may be a possibility to develop a rails-to-trail path along a railroad right of way between Silverton and Stayton. The Board enthusiastically supports such a trail and voted unanimously to send a supportive letter should such an opportunity occur.

Special Thanks to Lisa Morriss for taking the May Board Minutes!

June 10, 2014

Present: Kari Owen, David Philbrick, Lisa Morriss, Preslee Jeffers, Carolyn Foland, Hersch Sangster, Chris Hoy, Larry Miles, Bob Luoma, Stephanie Smith, Eric Cardella

Treasurer’s Report

Operating Fund $4,176.14
Ride Events 2,531.87
Money Market  14,237.29
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
Pay Pal 3,373.99
Total $34,395.28

Donation Requests: The Board had two donation requests for review.

Boys & Girls Club: Eric Cardella and Stephanie Smith presented their request. Eric talked about the goals for the BGC in expanding the bike safety program beyond just the Flow Riders. The plans include the Flow Riders Cycling Team for youth ages 13-18, Youth Cycling Development Program for youth grades 1-12 and a Back to School Health Fair –Bike Rodeo up 250 youths on August 9.   The total program will educate and inspire a healthy lifestyle. Youths will learn bike safety, maintenance a various cycling techniques. Four staff members at four of the BGC sites will be trained by the BTA as Bike Instructors for the summer program. The Board felt that the BGC was going in the right direction in expanding the cycling program beyond the Flow Riders. The summer program is expected to reach 250 or more youths. The Board unanimously approved the $1200 request from BGC. This amount will include the $1 per rider amounts from the 2013 Peach and from the 2014 Monster Cookie rides.

City of Salem – Salem Sunday Street: Corrine Fletcher of the City of Salem submitted a request for donations to help pay for the closing of the Courts and State Streets for the September 7th event. Monies would also be used to encourage cycling and help people explore safe routes for cycling. The SBC will have a booth and will be participating in the event planning. Several members are also helping in organizing bike rides to the event on September 7th.
The Board reviewed the request and due to the tight budget this year, the Board agreed to limit the donation to $500 to Salem Sunday Streets for this year.

July 8, 2014

Present: Kari Owen, Preslee Jeffers, Carolyn Foland, Hersch Sangster, Chris Hoy, Larry Miles

Larry conducted the meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

Operating Fund $1,662.42
Ride Events 3,306.16
Money Market 14,237.86
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
Pay Pal 373.99
Total $29,656.42

The Board reviewed the SBC Financial Report and Budget for January 1, 2014 to June 30, 2014.

Peach Planning: Carolyn and Hersch evaluated a possible new outgoing route for the Peach. Although the suggested route is quite scenic, it did add a little more mileage and had an elevation gain that might be considered too much for a beginning of the Century. It was recommended to the Board that the only change be at the beginning of the ride. The riders would go out to Herrin to Cordon, instead of going to Silverton Road. The Board approved developing a quick post ride survey for riders as they get their pie.  Carolyn and Hersch will work on it.

Summer Picnic: Preslee said the Annual Picnic will be on Saturday, August 9, 2 pm at Chalmers Jones Park next to the Keizer Civic Center. There will be a Club ride to Spongs Landing as part of the picnic.

Keizer Rotary End Polio Ride: Hersch thanked the SBC for support given to the June 29th ride. All the borrowed equipment has been returned to the locker. Next year the End Polio Ride will be on June 28, 2015.

Member Gifts/Projector: Hersch asked for suggestions for the 10/500 gifts. The budget is tight this year so items should not cost too much. For volunteers a Polar bottle with the SBC logo will be pursued. The Road Animal award cost will be less this year, since most will be receiving the year badge that they can add to last year’s trophy.

Hersch again reported problems with the Club projector. Although adaptor does work for Apple laptops, it does not work for the newer IBMs.  Our last guest speaker indicated that it looked like the filter on the projector was slowly going out. She indicated that the part is costly for this old projector.  The Board approved Hersch to purchase a new one,  not to exceed $500.

Future Items for the Board: To reduce SBC membership cost, it was suggest that the Board looking into having Spokes electronic for those members that would like it. Membership fees should be looked at for a possible reasonable increase. 10/500 award should be looked at. With the number of rides the SBC has it is very easy to do 10 rides. Maybe it should be raised to 20.

August 12, 2014

Present: Kari Owen, Preslee Jeffers, Carolyn Foland, Hersch Sangster, Chris Hoy, Larry Miles, Lisa Morriss

Larry conducted the meeting.

Treasurer’s Report

Operating Fund $1,752.95
Ride Events 3,214.34
Money Market 12,238.43
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
Pay Pal 859.17
Total 28,140.88

Request for Donation: The Salem Hub had sent in a request for donation from the SBC. Cory Heintz and Kirk Seifert were asked to attend the Board meeting to discuss their program and answer Board member questions. They were not in attendance.  The Board felt it was best to table this request untill the proposers could attend a Board meeting.  Hersch will let them know of the next Board meeting.

Salem Sunday Streets: The SBC will have a booth at the event on September 7 from 11-2. Hersch will get the pop-ups and other items to the event. He also will have bike safety information. Larry will have ride schedules and maybe applications.  Anyone interested in helping should contact Larry or Hersch. Kiki with the B&G Club will be doing bike safety instruction for kids.  Larry asked for an article on the event for Spokes.

Peach Planning: Peach Planning is going ahead. Joanne Heillinger requested more volunteers to help with the Peach. Anyone interested needs to contact her ASAP.
Summer Picnic: Preslee said the Annual Picnic was successful. There were 40 people that attended.  The new local had less bees that Minot-Brown.

Member Gifts/Projector: Hersch asked for suggestions for the 10/500 gifts for 2015. The budget is limited this year. Volunteer gifts have been ordered. Hersch also brought up the issue of mailing member gifts. For the last 3 years Hersch had
been trying to get members to pick up their annual gifts at Club meetings or rides to avoid the high mailing costs. This had reduced the cost,  but there are still large numbers of members that do not pick up their items after 6 months. The Board agreed fully that for next year 2015 that items will not be mailed to save Club costs.  Members will be notified that they have an item and it can be picked up at Club meetings or rides.  Hersch is still looking for a projector before the September General Meeting. There is no General Meeting in August.

Future Items for the Board: Chris indicated that he had done some research on membership fees of other Clubs and is developing a spreadsheet for the Board to review on the issue of SBC membership fees.

September 9, 2014

Present: Kari Owen, Preslee Jeffers, Carolyn Foland, Hersch Sangster, Larry Miles, Lisa Morriss, Bob Luoma, David Philbrick, Kirk Seifert, Aaron Ryals, Daniel Beal, Todd Beal

Treasurer’s Report

Operating Fund $1,752.95
Ride Events 3,214.34
Money Market     12,238.43
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
Pay Pal 859.17
Total $28,140.88

Request for Donations: The Salem NW Hub had sent in a request for a donation of $800 from the SBC. Board members received the request last month. Kirk Seifert and Aaron Ryals from NW Hub explained their program and answer Board questions . Kirk indicated the NW Hub is a non-profit that helps those in need and in transition get and or repair bikes so that can have transportation for employment and schooling.  The program has users pay the cost for the bikes and repair by sweat equity, sliding fee scale or community service. They help teach bike safety and repair to participants. Currently the Hub in in the basement of the Evergreen Church, but the plan is for a store front for the program.  The program has been seeking grant sand other funds. The Salem Leadership Council has done most of the initial funding. Under the umbrella of NW Hub, 2nd Chance, Aaron works with Hillcrest and a partnership with the YMCA to recycle bikes and teach the students on bike repair. The student-repaired bikes can go to those in need. The Board agreed that they are worthy program, but currently the SBC is very limited in funds, so for now the SBC cannot grants funds, but agrees to provide letters of support for any of their grant writing, help them get the word out about their program, including their funding raising bike ride on September 27. They are scheduled for the SBC April general meeting to talk about the NW Hub. The donation request will be put on hold till the SBC has better funding.

Daniel Beal as part of his Eagle Scout project came to the meeting to submit a request for $600 to install a serpentine bike rack along the bike path at Ryan J. Hill Memorial Park. This would allow bicyclists to park their bikes safely and conveniently. This was the first time the Board heard about this request, so copies will send to Board members. As with the Hub’s request the SBC is limited in funds, so the SBC could not fund this request currently. Suggestions were made to contact other sources in Keizer, including the Rotary Foundation and Kaiser Permanente. It would be nice for the SBC or any funding source to see the proposed design, map location of the rack and the City of Keizer’s design and installation approval.  The SBC will pend the request till better SBC funding, but would be willing to only fund a portion of the total cost of $600.

Salem Sunday Streets: The SBC had a booth at the event on September 7th from 11-4. Hersch indicated that there was great attendance this year.  Special thanks for SBC members helping make the event successful- Bob Louma, Jodi Loper, Hersch and Mary Ann Sangster, and John Newell for helping man the booth, Gary and Angela Obery for organizing rides from the Salem neighborhoods to the event, John Sangster and Eric Cardella for leading the Hoover Neighborhood ride in and Kiki Sangster for doing safety instruction for kids.

Peach Planning: Peach Planning is going ahead.  Looks like the weather will be good.  David indicated they might have more riders than planned for, so there is a back-up plans to get more food from Costco if that happens.  Lunch in Stayton will have some form of segregation so only those who buy lunch get one.  Packet stuffing will on Friday at the B&G Club.  David will plan a debrief session of this year’s Peach for planning for next year.

Elections: Elections will be at the November Potluck Meeting, so nominations should be opened up at the October General Meeting.  Currently there are 3 openings for the Board. The President and Vice President will be elected at the November meeting.

Future Items for the Board: On September 25 the SBC will have a booth at the Salem Hospital Health Fair. Bldg. D. David and Hersch will be there. Anyone else interested in helping should contact David. The October meeting the Board will need to decide on the location the Annual Banquet. Several suggestions have been made including the B&G Club. Carolyn mentioned that the fee structure for ads in SPOKES could be looked at the same time we look at membership fees.

October 7, 2014

Present: Kari Owen, Preslee Jeffers, Carolyn Foland, Hersch Sangster, Larry Miles, Lisa Morriss, Bob Luoma, David Philbrick, Dennis Hahn (Boys and Girls Club

Treasurer’s Report

Operating Fund $8,605.89
Ride Events 5,281.82
Money Market  7,239.30
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
Pay Pal 86.65
Total $31,289.65

Guest: Dennis Hahn a new member of the Boys & Girls Club staff will serve as the liaison between the Salem Bicycle Club and the Boys and Girls Club. Dennis will be working with the bike and other programs at the Boys and Girls Club.

SBC Banquet: After some discussion the Board accepted the invitation by the Boys and Girls Club to have our annual Banquet at their building on January 25, 2015 the at 6 pm. Willamette last year was very expensive and was most difficult to work with. The drawback is the Boys and Girls Club facility can have no alcohol. The Board asked Hersch to work with the catering service to have other beverages and have the room set-up for the SBC presentations.
Chris will be getting Club pictures for the event. David will start the work on the PowerPoint presentation with Doug Parrow. Hersch will get the Most Rides, Dan Rice, Road Animal, Volunteer and 10/500 awards ready for the Banquet.

10/500 Awards: The Board reviewed and authorized Hersch to purchase up to 150 Cue Clips from Ohio Travel bags for $2.75 each in one color. David suggested black. Due to the SBC budget limits this year, the bid from the Peddler was $300 higher than the on-line bid.

SBC Jerseys: Hersch indicated that since summer he has received at least six requests from members for the SBC jersey. Members cannot order one, unless there is open order period with Voler. Hersch proposed that we open the order period as we have done in the past around the time of the Banquet. The sizing samples will be available for members at the banquet, and orders can be received before the Monster Cookie. Board agreed with this. It will be possible to order both SBC Jackets and Jerseys from Voler.

November Board Meeting: Due the holiday on November 11, the November SBC Board meeting will be on Thursday November 13 at 6:30 at the Boys & Girls Club

November General Meeting/Elections: The November General Meeting will be a potluck, swap meet and elections. This meeting is one week earlier than normal due the holiday and will start at 6 pm. Members should bring any of their favorite dishes. It is a swap meet, so members can bring items to sell or trade. The SBC will have some older t-shirts and some large size sweatshirts available for sale.
This is the time for Board, SBC President, and Vice-President Elections. There are 4 open positions. Preslee indicated that he will go for reelection as did David for president. Kari, Lisa, and Larry will not go for reelection. Nominations or interested members should contact the SBC secretary, - Hersch Sangster.

Peach: David wanted to confirm the $1000 donation to the Kiwanis Club. They man the rest stops and have done a great job every year. The money goes to their student scholarship fund. The Board approved this and the $1 per ride donation to the Boys & Girls Club bike programs. The Governor’s Cup Coffee has not yet billed us. Larry indicated that they sometimes take months to bill. David will be contacting them to get the bill.

Jakey and Jim Ross are planning a SBC Club ride in the Ashland area in September and want to confirm the date for next year’s Peach. The Board discussed the date of both the Peach and other known rides in September, and community activities like the State Fair and Salem Sunday Streets event. Hersch attended a debrief of Salem Sunday Street and they are willing to change their date to the 3rd Sunday, so as to not conflict with the Peach. They had it the 1st Sunday this year, but in 2015 that will be Labor Day Holiday.
There are so many rides and other events going on in the Northwest from June to September, that there is almost something every weekend. The weather is a factor and earlier in September is better The Board approved the 2nd Sunday for the Peach in 2015 (September 13).

Club Dues: Chris handed out a spreadsheet of memberships dues/fees for the bike clubs in the Northwest. The SBC fee structure appears to be in the middle. There was a high of $45 for individuals to free on the low end. The SBC costs are rising especially with the mailing of Spokes. Our current dues do not cover this cost. Raising the fee by $5 was discussed, but more information is needed on our exact Spokes mailing costs. One suggestion was to keep the membership fee the same, but add an additional fee if you wanted your Spokes mailed instead using the online version. Larry will get more details for the next meeting on our Spokes costs.

Bike Maintenance Training/New Members: At the last general meeting there was a member discussion about having a bike repair/safety maintenance class sponsored by the SBC. Hersch has been checking possibilities with local shops. REI has indicated that might be willing to do one if we have more than 20 people. The City of Keizer Traffic Safety/Bikeway/Pedestrian Committee is also interested in such a class. Hersch will work on this to see if something can be arranged before spring.

Also discussed at the general meeting was welcoming new members. Carolyn will work with Preslee to contact new members directly to welcome them to the SBC.

Donation Request: Daniel Beal as part of his Eagle Scout project came to last month’s Board meeting and submitted a request for $600 to install a serpentine bike rack along the bike path at Ryan J. Hill Memorial Park.  Hersch talked with the Keizer Public Works Director. He indicated that the project had not yet come back though Public Works for the City’s approval of the design/installation. He was not sure of the actual cost. Gary Obery has sent to the Board concerns over the serpentine style bike racks and warned against using that style. This information was shared with Keizer Public Works which might affect the proposed bike rack. The SBC Board was not prepared to make a decision in the timeframe requested by Daniel, but indicated that at best, the Club would only be willing to fund a portion of the total cost. No further action will be taken unless the request is resubmitted and the design and placement aproved by the City of Keizer.

Other Events: On September 25 the SBC had a booth at the Salem Hospital Health Fair. David, Cathey, Lisa and Hersch manned the booth and gave out info on cycling.  Mark Lebow helped out with the October 4 event sponsored by the Northwest Association for Blind Athletes. SBC volunteer at both events felt that their participation was helpful to others and personally meaningful.

Future Items for the Board: Membership Fees, Banquet and Monster Cookie planning.

November 13, 2014

Present: Kari Owen, Preslee Jeffers, Hersch Sangster, Larry Miles, Lisa Morriss, Bob Luoma, David Philbrick, Kate Tarter, Jason Cox

Treasurer’s Report

Operating Fund: $2,867.01
Ride Events 3,281.87
Money Market 15,239.65
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
Pay Pa 86.65
Total: $31,551.17

North Gateway Redevelopment Advisory Board: Kate Tarter and Jason Cox members from the North Gateway Redevelopment Advisory Board came to SBC Board to inform us of the City’s plans for the redevelopment of North Portland Road. Kate and Jason were seeking the SBC support for biking improvements as part of the development. The major concern of the project is the train underpass on Portland Road. Pedestrians and cyclists are directed off the road into narrow tunnels on both the north and south bound travel lanes. The tunnel areas are filled with trash and other filth. It is a major health and crime hazard for users and the local neighborhood. Kate indicated the City of Salem owns the highway portion but the Union Pacific owns the top portion of the underpass. It will take a partnership of the City, Union Pacific and ODOT to develop a safe route at this site. Kate and Jason asked that SBC members let their Salem City Council members know of this critical need in the Redevelopment Project. Kate said she would let the SBC know of meetings and hearings on this project.

November General Meeting/Elections: The November 18 at 6 pm General Meeting will be a potluck, swap meet and elections. Members should bring any of their favorite dishes. The Club will provided dishware, silverware and drinks. It is a swap meet, so members can bring items to sell or trade. The SBC will have some older t-shirts, tire tools and some large size sweatshirts available for sale. We have 3 members interested in the Member at Large positions; Chuck Young, Sandy Lundblad and Cyndy Lovejoy. David Philbrick will be a candidate for President and Chris Hoy for Vice-President. Further nominations or interested members should contact the SBC secretary, - Hersch Sangster. Hersch will create the ballots for the elections.

SBC Banquet: The Annual Banquet will be at the Boys and Girls Club building on January 25, 2015 at 6 pm. Hersch will work with the catering service for event. Hersch will have information on the caterer and costs at the next Board meeting.

Monster Cookie: Larry sent out the cookbook on the Cookie to members that were interested in being on the Cookie Committee. Next meeting we will need to finalize the Coordinator or Coordinators for the Cookie and start the preparation. The Cookie will be April 28, 2015.

General SBC Correspondence: David indicated that the SBC received a survey request from a Ph.D. student regarding cycling practices and bike safey. He will send the survey out to the Board. The State Parks and Recreation send the SBC a request to have mechanical support and signage next September for the opening of the new Estacada to Detroit Scenic Bikeway. The event is thought to be the week before the Peach. The planning is for 50 riders. The Board felt that the SBC was not the best to provide mechanical support. Local bike shops would be the best to provide such support. The signs the SBC has are not the type that State Parks wants. David will let State Parks know.

Club Dues: The Board continued the discussion from last meeting on dues and Spokes cost. Larry handed out the worksheet on the cost for preparing and mailing about 300 Spokes for the 10 months they go out. The cost is $500 a month, which is the SBC’s highest ongoing cost. The board also discussed leaving the dues the same but giving an option for members to get a mailed Spokes at an additional cost. For the Bike Shops, David would like to develop a brochure that explains what the Club is, how to get to the ride schedule, and how to apply for membership. More discussion and exploration is needed on the Club dues and the impact of going electronic with Spokes.

Projector: The Board earlier had authorized up to $500 for a new projector. Hersch was unable to find the right one with this price range. The Board authorized up to $800. The projector will be needed by the time of the Banquet.

Other Events: Salem Sunday Street Planning Committee is thinking about either the 3rd Sunday in September or the last Sunday in August. The SBC recommend to that August would be better. Hersch will convey this to the Planning Committee.

December 9, 2014

Present: Kari Owen, Preslee Jeffers, Hersch Sangster, Larry Miles, Lisa Morriss, Bob Luoma, David Philbrick, Chuck Young, Cyndy Lovejoy, Sandy Lundblad, Eric Cardella, Jodi Loper

Treasurer’s Report

Operating Fund: $2,346.54
Ride Events 3,190.90
Money Market 15,240.27
Bank of the Cascades 10,075.99
Pay Pal 86.65
Total: $30,940.35

New Board Members/ Officer Selection: David welcomed the new Members at Large; Chuck Young, Sandy Lundblad and Cyndy Lovejoy to the 2015 SBC Board. David had refreshments from EZ Orchards. Based on the November elections, David will be the SBC President and Chris Hoy will be Vice-President for 2015. The Board asked for volunteers from the 2015 Board for Treasurer and Secretary. Sandy Lundblad will be our treasurer for 2015. Kari will help her with the transition. Hersch will be the Secretary. Larry will remain the Spokes editor and Preslee as Membership Chair.

SBC Banquet: The Annual Banquet will be at the Boys and Girls Club building on January 25, 2015 at 6 pm. Hersch had three possible menus from the caterer (Loustic Catering) at $25 plus gratuity. The Board asked that Hersch work with the caterer to come up with another menu, maybe Italian. The menu should include a vegetarian option. David indicated that to reduce costs the SBC could buy the sparkling cider. The cost was discussed. Jodi Loper indicated that Loustic had catered meals for the Boys & Girls Club. They are very good and know the facility. There may not be any other caterer that would be cheaper or could do the set-up at the Boys & Girls Club. Larry stated the cost for the Annual Banquet has been shared by the Club for some time, especially last year with all of Willamette’s costs. The Board agreed with the member cost for the Banquet to be $20 per adult and $10 for 12 and under. Registration should be in the next SPOKES and online soon. Facebook will have an announcement. Hersch will be working with Doug Parrow and Larry to get this started.

Monster Cookie: Larry sent out the cookbook (“The Cookie-book”) on the Monster Cookie to members that were interested in being on the Cookie Committee. David indicated he was willing to help on the Committee. Larry indicated that after the holidays the Committee should meet. Current members are: David Philbrick, John Sangster, Chris Hoy, Hersch Sangster. Larry Miles, Carolyn Foland, Bob Luoma.

SBC Correspondence/Issues: Salem Trail Alliance contacted the SBC to have a note in SPOKES and on the SBC website on their Wallace Park trail project and fund raising. The Board approved to do this for the Alliance. A speaker from the Salem Trail Alliance will be at the July General Meeting. Sandy alerted the Board to ODOT’s new release of “ORcycle” smartphone app to collect biking data.

Doug Parrow sent David a draft letter to Senator Prozanski (author of the Vulnerable Roadway User Law) for the Board to review and approve. The letter was related to the new law for proper passing of cyclists on the roadway. Several of the local law enforcement agencies were not enforcing it since that they felt the law was vague. This letter was to alert Senator Prozanski of the need for clarification in the law. The Board was in complete agreement of sending the letter under the SBC letter head and with David’s signature. Chris will do some cleaning up of the draft letter.
Doug reported to David that he had videotaped a garbage truck not following the new passing law. The Company responded to Doug’s concerns positively and would include education for their drivers on the subject. Hersch let the Board now that the NW Hub indicated that they would be willing to do a Bike Maintenance class for members. Hersch will work with them on setting up a class next year.

Projector: Hersch was able to purchase a projector. It was under budget and includes an extended warranty.

Other Events: Salem Sunday Street Planning Committee has set August 30, 2015 as the date of the event.

©2007-2008 Salem Bicycle Club