Home
Weekly Rides
Event Rides
Newsletter
Club Business
Report Map Issues
Membership
Links
Contact Us
Sign In

2013 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

January 8, 2013

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, J. Pink, M. Lebow, D. Parrow, L. Miles, H. Sangster, A. Tanner, B. Louma, K. Owen, L. Morriss

Treasurer's Report
Operating Fund $1,758.48
Ride Events $1,201.56
Money Market $24,215.42
PayPal $97.94
CD $10,044.58
Total $37,317.98

New Officers for 2013: Board discussed and approved the selection of the new Offcers for 2013 - President, Larry Miles; Treasurer, Kari Owen; Vice-President, David Philbrick; Secretary, Hersch Sangster
SBC Budget: David prepared a proposed 2013 budget for the Board to review, discuss and approve. The proposed budget is based on what the SBC historically has made at the Cookie and Peach and the current membership fees. Expenses were also based on historical cost and known increasing costs such had the LAB insurance. The Board discussed the increased cost of membership - Spokes mailing, Website updating, gifts etc. The SBC has not changed the membership fee in 20 years. The Board will be discussing this further this year. The Board approved the 2013 budget.

Jersey Update: Hersch indicated the Voler has the design and has indicated that they would be willing to have members order direct from them, We should have sizing samples for members to try at the Annual Banquet. The Club can have the sizing sample for 2 weeks. Members will need to order by 2/18/13 to have them before the Cookie in April. Hersch will have a jersey display at the Banquet

Website Improvement: Doug spoke on the improvement to the SBC website and how it will help Rider Leaders and riders. One can go the rides listing be able to view and download a PDF map and have a link to GPS. The Club will have an established library of maps with details of all Club rides. The Board approved the cost to continue to make the website improvements. This cost was included in the 2013 budget.

Review of Mark and Doug Duties: Since both Mark and Doug are leaving the Board, the Board review their duties to see who could do some of them Mark had a prepared list of duties for the new Treasurer and he will be helping Kari in the transition. Larry has a list of Doug duties and he will be reviewing them and we will discuss the transition of these at the next meeting. David and Bob will be checking with the local bike shops on what membership/ride information that they would like to have. This is one item of Doug's that with our website improvement and the increase cost of printing we might reduce or eliminate.

Volunteer Points: Doug had the draft of the Volunteer points. The Board reviewed and added points to role of the bookkeeper, Webmaster, Health/Community fair attendance, Annual Picnic Leaders, Novice Ride Leaders, Speakers and Map Committee.

Banquet: The Banquet will be at Willamette University on January 27, 2013. Larry will be helping with registration/AV media. As president, he will be doing a year in review talk. He will also be mentioning the 2013 Road Animal Award process, the results of the Tandem Rally, and SBC donations. There will be a presentation of the work the Map Committee is doing. The awards and memberships gifts are all in now. Larry, Doug and Presell will work on the Banquet Committee. Larry will set a meeting time/place.

Monster Cookie: Larry is starting the process of getting ready for the Cookie. Applications will be on the Website and he will be setting up the costs. The Wheelmen again asked for a discount for their members. The Board approved the continued $2 discount on preregistrations only for the Portland Wheelmen.

Next Board meeting is February 12, 2013.

General Meeting Programs

March 26,2013 - Bike Tire Repair- John Sangster, Scott's Cyclery
April 23, 2013 - Walking Tour of the Hallie Ford Museum

February 12, 2012

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, J. Pink, L. Miles, H. Sangster, A. Tanner, B. Louma, K. Owen, L. Morriss

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $2,590
Ride Events $3,202
Money Market $19,218
PayPal $490
CD $10,045
Total $35,545

Jersey Proposal: Hersch proposed to get members to wear their SBC jersey at Event Rides have a give-away item to all members that wear their Salem Bicycle Club jersey at the Club's Event Rides this year. Budget $200 or less for the item.
The Board approved the idea, but suggested and approved a raffle with 4 $25 gift certifcates for both of the event rides. Member could receive a raffle ticket at the end of each ride. The drawing would be at the next General Meeting following the Event Ride. Hersch will look into certificates.

Salem Hosptial Health Fair - Salem Convention Center: Hersch asked if the SBC was interested in having a booth at this event on May 11. This was discussed. The issue was whether there was a cost. It was agreed that in the past these events may not be practicable for the SBC, especially if there is cost. Hersch confirmed after the meeting that there is a cost for the Convention. So based on the discussion this event will not be pursued.

Veteran Parade 7/4/13: The organizer Ted Acker did not show.

Willamette University Cycling Team: Todd Allen a grad student and a member of the cycling team gave a background on the team and their upcoming events. In March they will be sponsoring College Cycling event in the Salem area. There will be Road and Time Trails in the St Paul area and Criterium races in the Pringle Neighborhood. The team does need housing for racers for the weekend. The Team will be coming back to SBC for donations in the future.

Monster Cookie: Larry is starting the process of getting ready for the Cookie. He has put in the applications to the City and Marion County. The Website is up for application. The $1 per ride will go to youth cycling activities.

Treasurer's Responsibilities: Larry checked with Kari if the duties were going ok. Kari indicated so far they were. She had additional forms to be signed and she was change the PO Box to reflect the current Board. She was going to give the extra P.O. Box key to Larry.

Membership Responsibilities: Preslee indicated that her was doing ok with the duties and had received support from David.

Spokes Editor: Alex indicated that he needed help with Spokes. He is able to do the computer formatting, but it was the editor part that he needs help with. Larry helped with the last issue and will help with the March issue. Hersch indicated he could help with proofreading. Larry will be checking into other members that could help with editing.

Next Board meeting is March 12, 2013.

General Meeting Programs

March 26,2013 - Bike Tire Repair - John Sangster, Scott's Cyclery
April 23, 2013 - Walking Tour of the Hallie Ford Museum
May 28, 2013 - Sadie Carney Salem, Keizer Transit
June 25, 2013 - Allen Doty, EMT Keizer Fire
July 23, 2013 - John McCalfery, Kesho Cycles, Portland
August 2013 - Annual Picnic

March 12, 2013

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, J. Pink, L. Miles, H. Sangster, A. Tanner, B. Louma, K. Owen, L. Morriss

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $5,506
Ride Events $2,707
Money Market $19,218
PayPal $43
CD $10,045
Total $37,519

Hersch received $67.87 for gift envelops and FedEx costs for the jersey samples.

Tire Tools: Hersch proposed that since we had a number of the 10/500 tire tools left that we could sell at cost to interested members. Our next General Meeting will be a tire repair class, so we could sell them there and put a note in Spokes. Our cost is $5. Bob asked that we give a few of them to the Flow Riders. The Board approved selling them to members and giving some to the Flow Riders and putting some in our Event Ride Tool Kits.

Monster Cookie Update: Larry indicated that all the permits are in. Registration has started and everything looks A ok at this point.

Ride Committee Issue: At last month's general meeting Jim Ross mentioned that he had received an e-mail from a person that was training with a group for the Tour de Cure and wanted to use/modified our regular rides for their training. None of the group are SBC members. After a discussion, Larry will let the person know that our ride schedule is booked way into the future and maps of the ride are now published online. They are invited to use our maps, join us on our rides, especially the high wheeler rides, and of course join the SBC. This discussion led to a discussion of riders showing up for a ride, signing in but deciding to ride in a different direction than the mapped ride, yet claiming the mileage. Because of insurance coverage, group safety and fairness for mileage accumulation, all riders should do the ride route, or alert the ride leader that their mileage is different. It was suggested that the Rides Committee try to mix-up the ride a little with shorter flatter ones in the winter and more challenging in summer. Larry will write an article in SPOKES to address this issue.

Spokes Editor: Larry is still looking for a co-editor for Spokes to help Alex. The March Spokes should be out soon. Larry has several members that have volunteered be members of an updated Spokes Editorial Board. He will be arranging a meeting soon.

Next Board meeting is April 9, 2013.

General Meeting Programs

March 26, 2013 - Bike Tire Repair- John Sangster Scott's Cyclery & SBC Member Show - Items made from Bicycle Stuff
April 23, 2013 - Walking Tour of the Hallie Ford Museum
May 28, 2013 - Sadie Carney Salem -Keizer Transit
June 25, 2013 - Allen Doty EMT Keizer Fire
July 23, 2013 - John McCaffery Kesho Cycles Portland
August 2013 - Annual Picnic
September 24, 2013 - Ray Thomas - Bike Advocate & Lawyer - Learn about and get your questions answered on current Bike and Transportation laws

April 9, 2013

Present: Larry Miles, Preslee Jeffers, John Pink, Bob Louma.

Due to lack of a quorum present, no financial statement was read and no actions were taken on
club business.

The board members present discussed preparations for the Monster Cookie.

Meeting adjourned. Next board meeting is May 14.

Future General Meeting Programs:

May 28, 2013 - Sadie Carney, Salem-Keizer Transit.
June 25, 2013 - Allen Doty, EMT, Keizer Fire July 23, 2013 - John McCaffery, Kesho Cycles, Portland
August 2013 - Annual Picnic
September 24, 2013 - Ray Thomas, Bike Advocate & Lawyer -- Learn about and get your questions answered on current bike and transportation laws.

May 14, 2013

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, J. Pink, L. Miles, H. Sangster, A. Tanner, B. Louma, K. Owen, L. Morriss, J. Lefevre, K. Sangster -SKEF, K. Heise-WOU

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $4,921
Ride Events $4,258
Money Market $39,220
PayPal $361
CD $10,057
Total $58,817

April 2013 Board meeting only 3 members attended so there was no quorum.

Flow Riders received 6 of the Tire tools.

Jackie L. gave an update of the budget and provided a budget report up through March 30th

Salem-Keizer Education Foundation Bike/Ped Program: Kiki S. gave a report on her program at Hallman Elementary School and the Northgate neighborhood. The program is an ODOT Safe Route to Schools grant to focus at Hallman/Northgate, because of traffic issues and past accidents near this neighborhood designed school.

Kiki will be teaching bike and walking safety to K-5 and adults in the neighborhood. She has received support from the Northgate Neighborhood Association for the program. The program will run through September. She will have several focused events with the first one being a Bike Skills Fair on June 1. She needs any SBC members willing to volunteer for this or any of her events to contact her at javakik@yahoo.com

Kiki submitted a donation request for $750 to help with cost of food, lights and helmets. ODOT has been helpful in the funding, but has limited the purchase of bikes for the program to only $150. This amount restricts her form bike shop quality bikes.

SBC Picnic: Preslee indicated that it was time to schedule the SBC picnic. It was suggested that August 17 be the date. The city fee is $175. Preslee will work with the City to reserve the spot at Minot-Brown. He will get more detail back to the Board.

Hank Bersani Bike Rack - WOU: Katie H. from WOU came to ask SBC for a donation to complete a creative art bike rack for Hank. The design spells out his name "Hank" into a bike rack. They have being doing fund raising for some time and would like to install it soon. The Board fully agreed to donate $500 to complete the project. Plans are to have a dedication on June 3 at 3 pm. at WOU. More details to come.

Monster Cookie: Larry indicated that Monster Cookie was a success, but he did received comments about bicycling etiquette issues. For next year he would like to form a 4 person committee to work the MC and maybe come up with improvements. Hersch and David P. volunteered and Larry will try to get a general member to also join the committee.

The Monster $1 per rider for bicycle education was discussed as to whom it should go to. David P. suggested the 1885 riders be rounded up to 2000 and split the monies between the Boy & Girls and the SKEF- Hallman project. John P voiced a concern over the Hallman project buying cheap bikes, this was seconded by David. The Hallman should buy bike shop quality bikes and SBC should give enough that SKEF-Hallman can buy the better bikes they need.

The Board agreed fully (Hersch abstained from the vote) that $1300 should be given to SKEF- Hallman Program and $1000 to Boys & Girls Club.

Hallie Ford Museum Visit: Since the visit to the museum was so well liked and we got to go behind the scene, Hersch recommended that the SBC give a donation. The cost for tour is generally $10, and we really got more behind the scenes insight and got a great lecture from the Director. Since there were about 18 there, it was suggested and agreed to fully by the Board to donate $200 to the Museum.

Bike Club Presidents Meeting: Larry met with the Bike Club Presidents from Santiam, GEAR, and Mid-Valley about common club issues and membership incentives. One idea that came up was giving a deserving member(s) a free pass to each of the mid valley clubs' major event rides. Larry will be discussing this more and may form a work group to look at this.

General Meeting Programs.

May 28, 2013 - Sadie Carney, Salem-Keizer Transit - Learn about what is going with Cherriots and how bikes can connect.
June 25, 2013 - Allen Doty, EMT, Keizer Fire - How to be prepared for bicycle medical emergencies.
July 23. 2013 - John McCaffery, Kesho Cycle Frames, Portland - See some great hand built bike frames made locally.
August 17, 2013 - SBC Annual Picnic at Minto-Brown Park
September 24, 2013 - Ray Thomas - Bike Advocate & Lawyer - Learn about and get your questions answered on current Bike and Transportation laws.
October 22, 2013 - Minto-Brown Bridge - Learn about the plans for a bridge and the fund raising needed.
November 26, 2013 - Elections, Potluck & Members Swap Meet.
No Meeting in December 2013.

June 11, 2013

Present: D. Philbrick, J. Pink, L. Miles, H. Sangster, A. Tanner, B. Louma, K. Owen, L. Morriss, K. Sangster - SKEF, D. Parrow

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $2,627
Ride Events $2,194
Money Market $34,723
Bank of the Cascades $10,057
PayPal $361
Total $49,962

Salem-Keizer Foundation (SKEF) Safe Routes to School- Northgate: Kiki Sangster the Lead Teacher gave an update on the Hallman Elementary-Northgate Neighborhood Safe Route to Schools program. She has completed 6 weeks of after school bike and pedestrian training for K-5 at Hallman. She had a Bike Skills Fair on June 1, she had 120 kid and their families at the event. She has been able to give out and fit all but two of the helmets that the SBC purchased after the Peach. She also scheduled a bike law and maintenance class for the community. She spoke about kids in the area not having anywhere to put air in their tires that did not cost; so many kids do not ride because they have flat tires. She asked for ideas to help this. She will be meeting with the Northgate Neighborhood Association to talk about this need.

SBC Web Update: Doug Parrow gave an update on changes to the web site especially in the area of the ride schedule and the maps that can be obtained. Doug will be arranging a presentation to the Board on the workings of the web site.

Annual Picnic: The date will be August 17, 2013, the time is TBA

Marion County Issues: David submitted a proposed letter to the Board expressing concern over Marion County charging bicyclist the same cost as motorcycle for using the Willamette ferries, yet bicyclists are expected to act like pedestrians when on board.
The Board discussed this issue and other issues that appear anti-bicyclist by Marion County. The recent Jeffers accident and the response by the Sheriff Office was a positive note. It was agreed that instead of the letter, a meeting will be arranged with Marion County Public Works.

Peach Update: David Philbrick and Joanne Heilinger with are the chairs for the Peach. They will be asking for help to make this ride a success. September 29 is the date of the Peach.

Monster Cookie Committee: Larry indicated that he had formed a MC Committee to look at possible improvements to this popular ride. The members will be Larry Miles, Hersch Sangster, Chris Hoy, Bob Luoma, David Philbrick and, Doug Tedrow.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is July 9, 2013.

July 9, 2013

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, L. Miles, H. Sangster, B. Luoma, K. Owen, L. Morriss

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $2,968
Ride Events $2,195
Money Market $32,723
Bank of the Cascades $10,057
PayPal $361
Total $48,304

Hersch submitted a reimbursement for $8.74 for postage for mailing the remaining 10/500 gifts to members. David will be the check signer for the Peach Event's account.

Boy & Girls Club: The Board was invited to see the new BGC bike trailer in the parking lot. The trailer has the SBC log on it, since the SBC has been a sponsor of the Flow Riders and BGC. The BGC will be coming to the SBC for their funding needs next month.

Annual Picnic Date & Time: The date will be August 17, 2013, the start time is 2:00 pm at Minto - Brown Park.

SBC Presentations: Hersch will be doing the presentation to the Friends of Champoeg on August 15 and Northwest Human Services Picnic on August 1. Larry will be doing a presentation to the Marion County Farmer on August 15. Also some of our event equipment will be used for the Blackberry Ramble this year.

Peach Update: David Philbrick and Joanne Heilinger are the chairs for the Peach. They will be asking for help to make this ride a success. After a Board discussion the date of the Peach is now September 22 this is a change from the 29th. The 100 mile route will be changed slightly to avoid the Victor Point route and to include the Gallon Cover Bridge. The food vendor will again be the Gardner House B&B in Stayton. The SBC will dedicate $1 of each registration to local programs providing helmets and education to help promote bike safety.

Volunteer Points: Volunteer points were reviewed and the Board agreed that Novice Ride Chair and leaders should get 2 points. Those members doing General Meeting presentations, public presentations or other SBC member or public education should also get 2 points.

August 13, 2013

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, L. Miles, H. Sangster, B. Luoma, K. Owen, L. Morriss, A. Tanner, J Pink, A. Obery

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund  $1,729.95
Ride Events  $5,194.59

Money Market   $28,222.92

Bank of the Cascades  $10,057.04

PayPal  $361.06

Total  $45,565.55

Requests for Donations: Angela Obery from the Jane Goodall Environmental Middle Charter School-Salem Keizer School came to the SBC to request funds for the installation of a bike rack on the campus. The school is on the Deaf School campus. Angela explained how the rack installations would help both the school and the Deaf School students and staff. Gary Obrey who is an EC Instructor will be providing safe cycling training to staff and students of both schools as part the bike rack installation. Angela had presented a request form to the Board explaining in detail the installation and training plan with a completion date of June 2014.

The project will give recognition to the SBC. David moved to approve the $1083.00 request and seconded by Preslee and fully approved by the full Board.

The Boys & Girls Club requested $3500 via a SBC request form to continue the SBC funding this year for the Flow Riders. The SBC has helped fund them for last several years and the amount requested is the same as in the past. The Flow Riders have already received $1000 as part of the Monster Cookie donation. BGC has expanded bike safety education to more kids of all ages at all of their locations this summer. They have obtained a trailer to move the old BTA bikes to the different BGC sites for kids to use as part of the bike safety training.

The Flow Riders is the only ongoing youth cycling program in the Salem-Keizer area. The program is geared for pre-teen to teens. Hesch moved that the SBC continue this basic support. David seconded the motion and all the Board approved.

Update: SKEF Hallman/Northgate Bike/Ped Program has another Bike Skills Fair scheduled for September 21, from 1- 4pm at Hallman Elementary.  A number of SBC members helped on the 1st one in June, so Kiki will again need help with this one. If you are interested in helping her, contact Kiki at javakik@yahoo.com.

Stu Smith & Annual Picnic: The SBC Annual Picnic is scheduled for August 17, 2013, at 3:00 pm at Minto - Brown. Stu Smith a long time SBC member and volunteer died this last week and it was suggested that we cancel the Picnic because Stu's funeral was at the same time as the Picnic. Since the advertising had already gone out and many new members and potential members had been invited, it was decided by the Board that Picnic should continue. I was recommended that SBC honor Stu at the Monster Cookie this next year, since this was one of his favorite rides and where he helped in the early years. Hersch will help with this for the Cookie.

Bersani Bike Rack: Hank Bersani's bike rack at WOU has not yet been installed but it should be soon. The rack itself has been completed. Hersch will try to do an article for Spokes when it is installed and dedicated at WOU.

Peach Update: David Philbrick indicated that the preparations for the Peach are going well. He handed out to the Board the flyer for the Peach and showed the color bands for the Peach. The SBC will dedicate $1 of each registration to local programs providing helmets and education to help promote bike safety.

Salem Sunday Streets: Salem will be closing down State Street to the Capitol Building for human powered activities. There will be music, booths, vendors and other fun activities on September 8 from 11 am to 4 pm.

The Board approved having a booth at the event. Larry has City of Salem application that he will submit.  Hersch will coordinate the booth for the event. Larry, Hersch & Mary Ann, Bob will help at the event but more members are needed. Contact Hersch at MHSANG@aol.com if you think you could help at the booth.

The Hallman/Northgate Bike/Ped program will have a mini skills course set-up at the event.

September 10, 2013

Present: P. Jeffers, L. Miles, H. Sangster, B. Luoma, K. Owen, L. Morriss, J. Pink

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund  $3,892.96
Ride Events  $5,194.59

Money Market  $28,222.91

Bank of the Cascades  $10,057.04

PayPal  $120.07

Total  $47,487.57

Updates: The SBC had a booth at the recent Salem Sunday Streets event. Larry, Bob, Mary Ann, Hersch, Kiki, and Jodi Loper from the Boy & Girls Club helped man the booth and the skills fair. We gave out a number of Spokes and applications. Kiki had 42 kids go through the bike skills event.

Larry will be presenting on SBC biking to the Marion County Famers Assn. on Sept. 18 and on Sept. 12, Hersch will present at the Straub Environmental Center gathering.

Last month Hersch did a talk about the Monster Cookie's history to the Friends of Champoeg.

Reminder: The SKEF Hallman/Northgate Bike/Ped Program has a Bike Skills Fair scheduled for September 21, from 1- 4pm at Hallman Elementary. A number of SBC members helped on the 1st one in June, so Kiki will need help with this one. If you are interested in helping her, contact Kiki at javakik@yahoo.com.

Annual Picnic: The Picnic was on August 17, 2013, at 3:00 pm at Minto - Brown. There was a smaller turnout- about 30 people. Preslee felt that the picnic area was not the cleanest and the yellow jackets were a big problem. It was suggested that we try another park for next year's picnic - either in Salem or Keizer. John suggested Claggett Park. Hersch will check into this one. Preslee will be checking for other possibilities.

Bersani Rack: Hank Bersani's Bike Rack at WOU will be installed and dedicated on Oct 9 at 4pm by the Education Building.

Peach Update: David Philbrick has indicated that the preparations for the Peach are going well.

Elections: There will be a possibility of 3 board positions open for next year. All members should think about serving on the Board or think about nominating some for the Board. If interested contact any Board member. Nominations for the Board will be at the October 22 General Meeting.

Rides Committee: The Club is looking for a person or persons to take over the lead on the Rides Committee. Jim and Jakey will be retiring after years of great service. Anyone interested should let Larry know.

October 8, 2013

Present: P. Jeffers, L. Miles, H. Sangster, B. Luoma, K. Owen, D. Philbrick, L. Morriss

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund  $2,208.77
Ride Events  $9,093.43

Money Market  $15,233.03

Bank of the Cascades  $10,057.04

PayPal  $120.07

Total  $36,712.34

Preslee received $124 for the purchase of pizza for the Peach Stuffing event.

Boys & Girl Club Update: Eric Cardella present what is going on with BGC bike safety program and the Flow Riders. The bike safety has ended for this season. The program was held at all of their sites and included bike safety & skills in a (repeating) week long program. Eric would like to start it again during the fall/winter, but the summer instruction is back in college. He thinks that if he can do the outreach, and possible hire a Teen Outreach person, they could do 4-5 hours per week with a bike instructor for this program.

Eric will head the Flow Riders for now. He wants to get the outreach going again since the program numbers have declined since Theresa left. Again he feels that with outreach he can get this program going, too. He thanked the SBC for all of its past and current support.

Bersani Bike Rack: Hank Bersani's Bike Rack at WOU will be installed and dedicated on Oct 9 at 4pm by the Education Building. A ride from Bersani's house to the campus is planned for 3:15.

Peach Update: David gave an update of the final Peach finances. With the poor weather the turnout was low and the SBC incurred a loss on the ride of about $4000. Most of the Costco food items were returnable, but we ordered too many T-shirts. The number of T-shirts appears to be based on the previous years' numbers. This is an area for next year we need to reevaluate. It was recommended that like the Cookie, a Peach Committee should be formed to do the evaluation and planning for next year. The Board agreed to this.

Volunteer & 10/500 Items: Hersch presented information on 10/500 proposed item - A saddle cover with the SBC logo on it. The cost is $1.20 plus $50 set-up for 300. Any amount we do not use this year the Membership Chair can use for new member items. Preslee is now going to be using the 10/500 jersey pockets from 2010 for new members.

Hersch showed the ¼ zip sweatshirt that will have the SBC logo on the chest. The cost is $30 with a $50 set-up fee. The order would be for 36.

The Board approved ordering the items. Hersch will convene the Road Animal Committee to see who has earned a Road Animal trophy.

Elections/Ride Committee: There will be a possibility of 3 board positions open for next year. All members should think about serving on the Board or think about nominating some for the Board. If interested contact any Board member. Nominations for the Board will be at the October 22 General Meeting.

Joanne Heilinger is taking over the lead on the Rides Committee. Jim and Jakey will be retiring after years of great service.

November 12, 2013

Present: P. Jeffers, L. Miles, H. Sangster, B. Luoma, K. Owen, L. Morriss, J. Pink, Fritz Ulrich

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $1,404.35
Ride Events 7,665.66
Money Market 15,233.71
Bank of the Cascades 10,057.04
PayPal 120.07
Total $34,480.83

Hersch turned in $10 on sales of the tire tools. It was noted that all of the Peach expenses have been paid. The SBC did lose money on the Peach this year.

Salem Bicycle Lockers: Fritz Ulrich had a question at the October General Meeting about whether the City of Salem had bicycle lockers. Fritz did some research and found out that the City has about 38 of them located in the core area. The City provided him a map of the locations of the bicycle lockers. One can rent them on a monthly basis. Fritz did check with the local bike shop s on whether they knew about the lockers and if they had information on them in their stories. None of them had information on them and had limited knowledge about the lockers. Fritz felt that information about these lockers should get out to the public and SBC members. The Board agreed. Fritz will be writing an article on his findings for SPOKES. Hersch will see if the Judith Johnduff of the City of Salem, who is in charge of the lockers, can come to a Board and/or General Meeting to talk about the lockers

Volunteer/10/500/Road Animal: Hersch indicated that orders had been placed for the saddle covers and the ¼ zip sweatshirts. The sweatshirt order would be for 36 mostly in larger sizes, but we can get smaller if needed. Hersch got preliminary information on those that might earn the Road Animal. Looks like about 15. Hersch will be convening the Road Animal Committee to see who has earned a Road Animal trophy.

Elections: There are 5 open positions on the Boards. The nominations are: Preslee Jeffers, Member at Large Incumbent; Bob Luoma, Member at Large Incumbent; Hersch Sangster, Board Secretary Incumbent; Winnie Sangirardi, Member at Large; Chris Hoy, Member at Large; Carolyn Foland, Member at Large; and Chuck Young, Member at Large
Elections will be at the November 19 potluck/Swap Meet Meeting. This is a change from November 26. The Meeting will be at 6 pm

Annual Banquet: Larry indicated that the Banquet will be on January 26 at Willamette University. The Board agreed that the format from last year was good as well as the menu. Larry will be finalizing the reservation with Willamette. Preslee, Larry and Hersch will meet to plan the Banquet.

December 10, 2013

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, D. Parrow, L. Miles, H. Sangster, B. Luoma, K. Owen, L. Morriss, J. Pink, C. Hoy, Judith Johnduff.

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $2,539.88
Ride Events 7,665.83
Money Market 13,234.33
Bank of the Cascades 10,069.71
PayPal 204.17
Total $33.713.92

Salem Bicycle Lockers: Judith Johnduff, Associate Transportation Planner from the City of Salem came to the Board meeting to talk about the bike lockers that the City of Salem has in the core area and out at the Park and Ride on Market Street There are about 36 lockers that can be rented for $18 for 3 months or $30 for six months. To sign up for one, you need to contact Salem Public Works. Lockers have been well used and there is a waiting list for some.

Judith gave us an update on Salem projects that could affect bicyclists. The City is the process of improvements with bike lanes on Eola, Skyline, and Brown to Sunny view. There is a plan for improving the Union/Commercial intersection to help with the bike/pedestrian bridge traffic. There is plan for improvement of the Brush College and Doaks Ferry. The Hyacinth and Hawthorne project is done. Marion County is planning Auburn and Hayesville improvements. The Minto-Brown Bridge may have ground broken this next summer.

Judith informed us of the new rules for Skateboarders in Salem. They can skateboard in the bike lane, but must follow the flow of traffic.

Judith is planning on applying next year for the LAB bicycle friendly status. The SBC is willing to help her in the process next year.

Website and Facebook: Doug gave us an update on some needed updates to the website. Doug was authorized to spend up $750 for the improvements. Doug suggested that the Board at least should discuss the pros/cons of having the membership list being on website. Doug showed us an article he plans on having in SPOKES about members and other cyclists being able to receive information on club event and updates via the Club Facebook page or Twitter

Doug provided a list of the duties that he has been doing for the Club. Some he is looking to download to others. Doug will be doing the January/February issue of Spoke and then Larry will be taking over SPOKES. Larry will also be taking over SPOKES ad promotions. The Banquet slides/presentations Larry, Hersch, David and Preslee will work on for this year.

Volunteer/10/500 Road Animal: Hersch showed the saddle cover for 10/500.The SBC sweatshirts have been ordered for the volunteers
Hersch got preliminary information on the plaques for the Road Animal. The 5x7 looks the best at 415 a unit with .18 per letter.

The plaque should read:
Salem Bicycle Club
ROAD ANIMAL
Name
Year

Hersch has a preliminary list of Road Animals so he will get them to Salem Trophy on it, and if there are more that make 2500 mile by December 31, he will add them to the order. Hersch will do the Battered Saddle - Dan Rice Award for the top mileage person.

SBC Jerseys: Hersch did some checking with Voler on SBC jerseys. The 5 jersey minimum we thought we had only lasted 30 days after our February order. Now there is a 15 item minimum the SBC must meet. However they now include a long sleeve and a jacket with the SBC design. These two items cost a little more than the short sleeve, but can be included in the 15-item minimum, so more members might order an item even if they already had a short sleeve jersey. Hersch will get a note into SPOKES and order the sizing packet to have at the Banquet for members. Orders will have to be in by February 10 to have by April.

Annual Banquet: Larry indicated that the Banquet will be on January 26 at Willamette University. The Board agreed that the format from last year was good. Tim Sinatra from the B&G Club will be the speaker. The menu will be lasagna with gluten free option The Board approved increasing the cost to $17 and half for children under 12. Preslee, David, Larry and Hersch will meet more to plan the Banquet.

©2007-2008 Salem Bicycle Club