Ride Cancellation Procedures
SBC rides will be canceled if weather or road conditions are dangerous for cycling. The procedures for cancellation of a ride are:
- The webmaster, ride committee chair, or a board member will issue a “Possible Ride Cancellation Alert” via the SBC website, Facebook, and Twitter prior to the day of a ride if it appears that one or more of the following conditions will exist during the time of the ride:
- Temperatures below freezing with wet and potentially icy roads.
- An accumulation of snow and slush on or along roads.
- Sustained winds exceeding 35 mph and/or gusts exceeding 40 mph.
- Other conditions that would make cycling dangerous.
- On the morning of the ride, or earlier if it is apparent that any of the conditions listed above will exist at the time of the ride, the ride coordinator will decide whether the ride should be canceled. In making the decision, the ride coordinator may consult with the rides committee chair and/or an SBC board member. Preferably the cancellation decision will be made at least 2 hours prior to the start of the ride. However, a ride coordinator may cancel a ride at any time prior to the start of the ride without regard to whether an alert was issued previously.
- After deciding to cancel a ride, the ride coordinator should notify the webmaster and ride committee chair of the decision. The webmaster or ride committee chair will post the cancellation on the SBC website and Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- It is preferable, but not essential, that the ride coordinator, or another club member, be at the ride starting location of canceled rides to notify potential participants who may not have received notice of the cancellation.
- The ride coordinator should close out the ride by logging into the SBC website and completing the ride participant data entry by entering a “0” in the mileage box and checking the “Ride Complete” box.