General membership meetings are on the fourth Tuesday of the month (except December and January). Most general meetings are in the Carrier Room at the First United Methodist Church on the corner of State and Church Streets, however, occasionally meetings are scheduled at other locations. Social half-hour begins at 6:30 p.m., followed by the meeting at 7:00 p.m. Contact Jim Ross for more information.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm. Most board meetings are at the Boys and Girls Club, 1395 Summer St NE, Salem. Everyone is welcome to attend board meetings. Contact Jim Ross or another board member for confirmation of the meeting location.
The following are administrative forms used in club business:
- Donation Request Form - Form should be completed and submitted to the club's board of directors to request a donation to an organization or project to improve and support bicycling.
- Reimbursement Request Form - Form should be completed and submitted to SBC Treasurer to request reimbursement for expenses associated with SBC activities.
- Minor Release and Waiver Form - Form should be completed and provided to ride leader for any unaccompanied minors participating in club rides.
Minutes of the SBC Board of Directors are available for 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. Minutes for subsequent years are available in online, achived issues of Spokes on the Newsletter page.
A list of past and present SBC Officers, other Board members, and Key Volunteers is here.
The club has a number of online resources available to members. These include:
- The SBC Website with the club rides calendar and other information about club activities.
- A Facebook page on which updates and reminders of club activities are posted. Find the club's Facebook page here.
- A Facebook Member Group in which club members can share information about past rides, photos, and other information. Join the group to participate in the discussions by appling here.
- A Twitter account through which members can receive information about ride changes and other updates. Click here for information on how to sign up for Twitter updates. Recipients of these updates are not required to have personal Twitter accounts.
- A Ride With GPS club account which provides SBC members with enhanced resources. Click here for information on how to join the club's RWGPS account.
Ride Mileage Tracking
The Salem Bicycle Club tracks members' participation in our rides. The Ride Mileage Tracking system allows each club member to monitor those rides for which they have been credited and their annual mileage totals. The club recognizes members' participation in our rides at the annual banquet with the following awards:
- Dan Rice Memorial Battered Saddle for most miles ridden.
- P.E.D.A.L. (Pedals Every Day And LIkes it) for most rides ridden.
- 10/500 Award for having particpated in at least 10 rides or ridden 500 miles.
A list of past Battered Saddle and P.E.D.A.L. award winners is here.
Ride coordinators are encouraged to enter the data for their rides. However, if they are unable or prefer not to do so, another club member with administrative access to the website will be able to do so after the ride sheet is returned to the club. All Ride Sign-up Sheets should be returned to the club regardless of whether the rider coordinator enters the mileage and participant data. A Ride Sign-up Sheet is generally included in the packet that ride coordinators receive prior to the date of their ride. More information and step-by-step instructions for entering mileage and ride participant data are available here.
The tracking system does not allow users to set up their own accounts. New accounts are administratively created when individuals join the Salem Bicycle Club. A slide show presentation about the mileage tracking system is also available here (caution - large file).
The Rides Committee is responsible for developing the club's rides calendar. Contact Joanne Heilinger for information about committee meeting dates and times.
The club's Ride Mileage Policy provides the criteria for listing rides in the monthly rides calendar and identifies the rides for which members may receive mileage credits toward the Battered Saddle, PEDAL, and 10/500 awards.
Club rides will be canceled if road conditions or weather are dangerous for cycling. See the Ride Cancellation Procedures for more information.
The symbol indicates that the file is in Adobe Reader format.