Home
Weekly Rides
Event Rides
Newsletter
Club Business
Report Map Issues
Membership
Links
Contact Us
Sign In

2012 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

 

January 10, 2012

Present: B. Luoma, G. Schopfer, D. Parrow, M. Lebow, J. Pink, L. Miles, D. Philbrick, A. Tanner, P. Jeffers, H. Sangster

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $1,114.43
Ride Events $4,177.61
Money Market $13,192.72
Bank of the Cascades $10.010.60
PayPal $197.34
Total $28,692.70

CPR Training: Preslee Jeffers suggested that the Club look into have CPR training for interested Club members. All were in agreement that this sounded like good idea. He will check into possible providers and cost. The training might be feasible to hold the training at one of the General Club meetings.

Non-Profit Training: Mark Lebow recommended that we send someone to the training in Corvallis on 1/21. The Club has paid for the training and lunch for the attendee in the past. The all agreed to continue this. Preslee Jeffers was approved to attend.
Bank of Cascades: Mark Lebow had the Club officers complete new signature cards for the Bank, since we have new club officers.

Volunteer List: Doug Parrow provided a list of the points members had received for this last year for their volunteer activities. This list did not include Ride Leaders. After a discussion it was recommend and approved to add 30 points for the bookkeeping activities done by Jackie LeFevere and the 15 points to Preslee Jeffers for the Club Picnic he coordinated. It was discussed to split the points of the Ride Coordinator and Spokes Editors at 25 points each.

Marion County Update: Larry Miles reported that Marion County Public Works has agreed with what the Club has done in the past for the signage on event rides is ok. This includes the Dan Henry marks on the roadway. Bill Brownlee is our contact at Marion County now. Roll-up signage maybe required in the future. Larry Milles will be checking into the cost of purchasing and/or renting them.

Change of Date Peach: Cindy Bushey suggested a date change in the Peach from September 23 to September 16. After a discussion it was determined that we should stay with the September 23, since it does not conflict with other Oregon rides, and the Club has already posted the date in Or-Bike and the Club's website.

E-Mail List: Cindy Bushey volunteered to develop an e-mail list for the Club. After a discussion including a privacy issue it was determine that the current Membership directory would do.
Frank Nutt: Larry Miles indicated that he has received over $900 in donations for this individual. In his letter in Spokes Larry spoke about this individual's need. The donations were solicited by Larry, not by the SBC. Larry will be looking into purchasing a used bike and a helmet for Frank.

Portland Wheelman Event Ride Discounts: Larry has had discussions with Ben Schuman from about the possibility of both our Club's members getting discounts at each other's event rides. The Board was in agreement of the concept. Currently our club members get a $2 discount at pre-registration only. Larry will discuss this more with the Portland Wheelman.

Jerseys: The Board will have at samples of jersey designs that Randy Thomas created at the Annual Banquet. Members will be able to given feedback on the designs.

Banquet: The Club Banquet will be held at Willamette University on January 29, 2012, from 6 to 9 PM. Registration is available on line and by form in the January Spokes. Board Members are encouraged to remind members to register early. Each of the local bicycle shops has been given two complimentary tickets.

The program will be a recap of Club events for the year and recognition of club volunteers and ride leaders. George Schopfer has ready the 10/500 items and the hats for the top volunteers, The Road Animal jersey bins have already been mailed out to those that earn this this award. There will be a number of free items, socks, cups, T shirts, available on a first come first served basis.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is February 14, 2012.

Future Agenda Item: Budget Planning

General Meeting Programs

January 2012: Annual Meeting January 29
February 2012: Furnace Creek 508 Race - John Henry Maurice, Feb 28
March 2012: OPEN, March 27
April 2012: State Scenic Byway - Alex Phillips, April 24

February 7, 2012

Present: B. Luoma, J. Ross, D. Parrow, M. Lebow, J. Pink, L. Miles, D. Philbrick, A. Tanner, P. Jeffers, H. Sangster, J. Lefevre

Treasurer’s Report

Operating Fund $1,875.26
Ride Events $2.177.61
Money Market $13,192.72
Bank of the Cascades $10.010.60
PayPal $503.78
Total $27.759.99

Governor’ Ride: State Parks is promoting a ride on May 5th from Salem to Champoeg State Park and back to Salem celebrate a ride Gov. Geer did.  Larry contacted the State Park to see if the Club could provide support and get additional details about the ride.  State Parks does not want to have the ride supported for liability reasons. They also did not have details on the ride at this time for the Club to do proper planning. It does appear that the ride is starting later in the day, later than most of the Club rides. Since it is just after the Cookie and the State does not want it supported, the Club will just let members know about the ride, but it will not be a Salem Bike Club ride.

Jersey Update: Larry stated that at the Banquet the overwhelming choice for the Jersey was the Yellow/Black one. The Board recommended some changes to this design. The white areas will be yellow, logo on the front removed, SBC moved down and the 1969 removed.  Larry will move this design forward.

General Meeting Responsibilities: Hersch with help from John and George will be the point for general meeting speakers/activities.

Portland Wheelman Event Ride Discounts: Larry confirmed with the Portland Wheelmen that they will provide discounts to our members for their Century and we will for the Cookie for them. This will be for preregistration only. They will provide a list of their members. We will do the same with those that ride the Cookie this year.  Doug will make the changes on the application to note that this list maybe shared.

Annual Budget: David presented the Proposed 2012 budget.  Discussion topics included the cost of food at the major rides, looking at the cost of continuing paper Spokes,  going electronic with the Spokes in the future, and possible changes in the future of the membership fees.  The Board approved eliminating the Road Animal Award, since we do not have the Watermelon anymore.

The proposed budget was approved by the Board with the following changes:

Net Monster Cookie Inflows increase to $14,000 from $12,000
Net Peach Inflow decreased to $2000 from $4000
Awards Expenses decreased to $3500 from $6000

Facebook Page Administration: Doug asked that since JoAnn was no longer on the Board that a replacement be made. It was determined that the following Board members would be on the SBC Face Book Alex; Doug; Larry; Preslee, and Mark. All were reminded that before they speak on Facebook they need to determine if they are only speaking as an individual or representing the Club.

Country Financial Health Fair: Doug spoke about Country Financial Health Fair that he attended last year. He manned a booth at the Fair representing the SBC.  He said it was not that productive and was wondering if anyone else would be willing to do it this year.  It is May 24. Doug will get details out later to Board members that might be interested in representing the Club at this Health Fair.

Meeting adjourned.  Next Board meeting is March 13, 2012.

Future Agenda Item: Ride Coordinators/Inactive members on rides

General Meeting Programs

February 2012:  Furnace Creek 508 Race - John Henry Maurice, Feb 28
March 2012:  Antique Bicycles, March 27
April 2012:  State Scenic Byway – Alex Phillips, April 24

 March 13, 2012

Present: B. Luoma, D. Parrow, M. Lebow, J. Pink, L. Miles, C. Gleason, T. White, A. Tanner, P. Jeffers, H. Sangster,

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $2,625.74
Ride Events $4,177.61
Money Market $11,192.72
Bank of the Cascades $10,010.60
PayPal $1,618.71
Total $29,625.38

CPR Training: Carol Gleason from CG Health & Safety Specialists Inc. gave a brief presentation on what CPR training she could provide the Club. She can train up to 36 people with additional trainers. Each trainer can train 9 persons. She follows the American Heart Association standards and practices. She charges $20 per person for non-profits. Her training for the Club would be about 2 hours and includes CPR /AED and some brief First Aid related to bicycling.

The Board agreed that this training is needed and that the Club could pay up to $10 for interested Club members up to 36 members. The Board did not think that enough advertising could occur before May. The Board recommended a class be later in June or July. Prefer a class on a Tuesday night that does not conflict with Club meetings. Hersch will contact Carol to determine a date.

Boys & Girls Club Flow Rides: Teresa White gave an update on the activities of the Flow Rides for 2011-2012. She gave a handout that listed the mission and the activities of the Flow Riders. There are a total of 10 riders this year. The Flow Riders are a Youth Cycling Team for 6-12th grade. The Flow Riders are participating in Club and other rides and do spinning at the Courthouse Athletic Club. They are not planning a Cycle Challenge Ride this year. Bob Luoma is the Assistant coach for the Flow Rider.
The Club has given the Flow Riders $3,500 in the past and Teresa request the same amount for this year.

Board agreed that Flow Riders is a project that the Club should continue to support, but will delay the final decision till after the Cookie, so the Board will know what the Club's income will be for this year.

Tandem Rally SBC Events Page: The Board approved Doug's request to list the Tandem Rally on the SBC Events page on the website. The Tandem Rally will be a big event in Salem this year in which many Club members will be volunteering and participating in.

Old Laptop Computer: Doug has been storing an old laptop that the Club purchased years ago. The Club has a new computer that is being used by the Spokes Editor. The Board donated to the Boys & Girls Club since Teresa indicated that it could be used by them

Map Work Group: Doug and John gave an update on the Maps work group. Work on the base map is progressing. Doug will be getting this on the website for comments. John indicated the best thing about getting these maps is improving the in/out routes out of town. It is expected that the maps will be available next year on the website

National Night Out: Doug spoke about National Night Out with Marion County Sheriff's Office that he attended last year. He manned a booth at Santana Park representing the SBC. This year it will be August 7. Doug will be on vacation then so he cannot be there. Hersch volunteered to help. Doug will work with the Sheriff's Office before then to make the event more interactive for the kids attending.

Monster Cookie Update: Larry indicated that all the applications are in. The Captiol Mall and Champoeg are reserved. Flyers have been mailed out and the website is up and running

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is April 10, 2012.

General Meeting Programs

March 2012: Antique Bicycles Display Jeff Keglar March 27
April 2012: State Scenic Byway - Alex Phillips, April 24
May 2012 Keizer Fire - "What you need to know When the Medics Respond" May 29
June 2012 John McCaffery Portland Bicycle Builder- Kesho Frames June 26

April 10, 2012

Present: B. Luoma, M. Lebow, J. Pink, L. Miles, C. Gleason, T. White, P. Jeffers, H. Sangster, J.H. Maurice, G McCabe

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $6,485.19
Ride Events $7,983.16
Money Market $11,196.43
Bank of the Cascades $10,021.83
PayPal (est) $1,600.00
Total $37,286.61
Note: Paypal is rounded amount from General Meeting

Boys & Girls Club Flow Rides: A brief promotional video on the Salem Boys and Girls Club was shown. The video included the Flow Riders.

Tandem Rally SBC Events Page: John Henry Maurice and Grace McCabe are the coordinators for upcoming Tandem Rally here in Salem. The rally will be the first in Salem. The focus will be on family. They are trying to keep the cost affordable. Children will be free for the Rally. Both John Henry and Grace gave details of the planning and costs going into the Rally.

They did make a donation request from the SBC for $2000 for the Rally. The SBC could be reimbursed for the donation if the Rally does make enough money. They also asked the SBC for assistance in obtaining a grant from Salem Hospital. Since the SBC is an established non-profit in the community Salem Hospital would prefer to given the money to the SBC and then the SBC could act as a pass thorough to the Salem Tandem Rally.

The donation request was put on hold till after the Cookie Monster ride (see March Board Minutes). The request for the SBC to assist in obtaining the grant from Salem Hospital and acting as a pass through to the Salem Tandem Rally was approved.

Monster Cookie Update: Larry indicated that everything is progressing. He still is working to get all the needed volunteers, especially SAG drivers. Looks like we may have 2000+ riders if all goes well. The Board agreed that we should have a memorial for Bersani and Apperson at the beginning of the ride. Larry asked Hersch to see what can be arranged.

Mark mentioned he had at least one application of teenager. The application did have an adult sign the liability waiver and all fees had been paid. It was agreed that we have had teenagers ride the route without directly having a riding adult with them in the past. Adults have provided Sag to the teenager. It was agreed that we would not ban this.

Larry mentioned he did get a request for Skate Boarder to do the route. Larry indicated he said no to this, since it is only a bicycling event.

Polk County Letter: Doug had prepared a draft letter for the Board review addressed to the Pol County District Attorney about the circumstances of the Apperson accident in January. The letter requested more details and what action maybe pending for the motorist. The letter also made reference to the recent Bersani accident in Polk County.

The Board agreed that the tone and content related to the Apperson accident were good. Answers are needed from the DA on the investigation and what legal action might be pending, since it appears there were no witnesses and report of the accident appears to be by the motorist only. Reference to Bersani's accident should be deleted since the State Police did the investigation and there were several witnesses to the accident, and family wishes all indicating that it was a true accident.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is May 8, 2012.

General Meeting Programs

April 2012 = State Scenic Byway - Alex Phillips (April 24)
May 2012 - Alan Doty EMT/Firefighter Keizer Fire - "What you need to know when the Medics Respond" (May 29)
June 2012 - John McCaffery Portland Bicycle Frame Builder- Kesho Frames (June 26)
July 2012 - Fix that bike and flat (July 24)

May 8, 2012

Present: B. Luoma, M. Lebow, J. Pink, L. Miles, H. Sangster, D. Parrow, D. Philbrick

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $16,115.33
Ride Events $7,291.05
Money Market $31,197.43
Bank of the Cascades $10.010.60
PayPal $545.07
Total $65.159.40

Monster Cookie Update: Larry indicated that everything went well this year. He received positive feedback from many including the Marion County Sherriff's Office. It appears that in round figures we grossed $45,000 with a net of around $16,000. Larry is still in the process of writing checks to pay any of the outstanding bills.

There were 2086 riders. The day of ride sign up was large but went very quickly as did the pre-registration. T-shirt and food estimations were almost right on.

It was suggested that the ability to accept debit/credit cards for day of ride registration might be helpful. John will check into this with Chase to find out the cost and procedures.

NW Tandem Rally and Flow Riders (revisit): At early Board meetings the NW Tandem Rally organizers and the Flow Riders from Boys and Girls Club requested monies from the SBC. It was decided to wait till after the Cookie the SBC would know what the budget looked like.

The NW Tandem Rally requested $2000 for this year's Salem event. The organizers indicated that if they did make enough money they would like to pay it back to the SBC, but this was not a sure thing.
The Board approved giving $2000 to the NW Tandem Rally as they requested

The Flow Riders requested $3500 for this year for this Boys and Girls Club program. The Board approved giving this amount to the Flow Riders, however, it will be requested that they develop a plan to expand cycling/safety education and cycling as transportation education to more kids for next year. They should include local equipment available from the BTA program. Larry will be talking with Boys & Girls Club about this and that SBC members would be willing to help.

Doug's Request: Doug requested up to $600 for ride/riders list improvements on the system. This was Board approved.

Doug asked for clarification on the draft letter the Board reviewed addressed to the Polk County District Attorney about the circumstances of the cycling deaths in Polk County. Larry provided a copy of the Board's revisions to the draft to Doug.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is June 12, 2012.

General Meeting Programs

May 22, 2012 Alan Doty EMT/Firefighter Keizer Fire - "What you need to know when the Medics Respond"
June 26, 2012 John McCaffery Portland Bicycle Frame Builder- Kesho Frames
July 24, 2012 - Fix that bike and flat John Sangster Scott's Bicycle Shop

June 12, 2012

Present: B. Luoma, M. Lebow, J. Pink, L. Miles, H. Sangster, D. Parrow, P. Jeffers, A. Tanner

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $1,518.97
Ride Events $3,908.85
Money Market $26,202.30
Bank of the Cascades $10.010.60
PayPal $545.07
Total $42,185.79

10/500 Banquet: Hersch asked for some ideas for the volunteers gifts and 10/500 items. Some ideas suggested were arm warmers, a Spi-belt and De Feet socks for the 10/500. It appears on the average we have 30 for the volunteers and about 100 for the 10/500 or so, actual figures are available in January. Possible date for the Banquet will be January 20. The Board will be checking if another venue might be possible.

NW Tandem Rally/ Blackberry D' Ramble: Several Board and other members will be volunteering at the Tandem Rally. It appears that the Rally has enough entries so far to meet their financial obligations. This should be a great even for Salem and all are encouraged to ride and/or volunteer. The GEARS bicycle club in Eugene has asked for use of some of our equipment for the Blackberry D'Ramble. This request is being honored since this organization/event follows the SBC policy of being a non-profit Willamette Valley bicycle club event. The borrowers will be responsible to replace/repair any damaged equipment.

Monster Cookie Update: Larry indicated most all the bills are paid. There are some T-shirts that have not been delivered yet. Shirley the t-shirt maker had to have her work area shut down due to some flooding and this put her behind in her orders. Larry will work with her to get the order completed.

Picnic: Preslee has scheduled the Annual Picnic for August 19th. It will be a potluck and will include a family bike ride.

Doug's Update: Doug updated the Board on the improvements to the website. Members can see their ride record in date order now. Membership expires after one year, so member will get credit for rides they did in a year once they renew. Rider Leaders need not worry for the data entry if a person is a current members or not.

Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway: It was suggested that the SBC join with other local groups as a sponsor/advocate for the Willamette Scenic Bikeway, since this Bikeway does not have any like the others in the State. The Board was in agreement. Doug will send Board Members examples of what other groups are doing with their bikeway. Contact will be made with Alex Phillips of Oregon Parks and Rec. to start the process.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is July 10, 2012.

General Meeting Programs

June 26, 2012 John McCaffery Portland Bicycle Frame Builder- Kesho Frames
July 24, 2012 - Fix that bike and flat John Sangster Scott's Bicycle Shop
August 19, 2012 Annual SBC Picnic
September 28, 2012 Alan Doty EMT/Firefighter Keizer Fire - "What you need to know when the Medics Respond"October 23, 2012 Exploring Europe...Powered by Ice Cream and Pizza Part 1 Donna Short and Doug Robin

July 10, 2012

Present: B. Luoma, L. Miles, H. Sangster, D. Parrow, P. Jeffers, A. Tanner

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $2,238.16
Ride Events $4,342.96
Money Market $23,206.18
Bank of the Cascades $10.010.60
PayPal $545.07
Total $40,342.99

Scenic Bikeway: Larry announced that Alex Phillips from Oregon State Parks will have a meeting on July 26the at Clockworks Café at 5:30-6:30 on the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway. He encouraged all the Board to attend.
Doug added that the purposed is to develop a proponent group for this bikeway since it does not have one. This group is needed to help with publicity of the bikeway, help and identify improvements, take pictures of the route, suggest/develop route changes and identify public works issues. The SBC could take a role in this developing a steering type committee with a larger committee of volunteers for work projects

Picnic: Preslee has scheduled the Annual Picnic for August 19th. It will be a potluck and will include a family bike ride. You will be able to bring an item to be BBQ if you want. Sign up is on the website.

CPR: The Board approved Hersch to obtain small disposal face guards for those that attended the CPR class and for the SBC First Aid kits. Cost is about $5 each with 15 to be obtained.

Other: Doug will be experimented with doing Twitter for the SBC. He will be letting the SBC how it worked

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is August 14, 2012.

General Meeting Programs

July 24, 2012 - Fix that bike and flat John Sangster Scott's Bicycle Shop
August 19, 2012 Annual SBC Picnic
September 28, 2012 Jeff McNamee Salem Area Trail Alliance "Salem Greenway Trail System".  & Members "Old Bike" show-off- bring your old bike to the meeting.
October 23, 2012 Exploring Europe...Powered by Ice Cream and Pizza Part 1
Donna Short and Doug Robin
November 23, 2012  Potluck, Elections and Swap Meet

August 8, 2012

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, B. Luoma, J. Pink, A. Tanner, M. Lebow

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $2,066.80
Ride Events $5,091.96
Money Market $21,208.12
PayPal $545.07
CD $10,033.20
Total $38,945.15

NWTR 2012 Loan Repayment and Thanks: The SBC received a $2,500.00 check from the local group that hosted the 2012 Northwest Tandem Rally. The note accompanying the check indicated the extra $500.00 above the $2000.00 loan repayment was for SBC supplies used. The note also extends thanks to those club members who volunteered their time to help put on the rally. The board is very gratified that 1) the tandem rally was a big success, and 2) we were able to recoup our loan and supplies. A big congratulations and thanks to NWTR 2012! There was mention of discussing purchasing additional event signage with the repaid money.

Update - August 19th Picnic at Minto Brown: Preslee stated that close to 40 people have signed up for the club picnic at Minto Brown Park, 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. on August 19th. He expects there will be about 50 people there again this year. Preslee is bringing a gas barbeque so that people can grill food they bring.

Update - Peach of a Century: Larry Miles was not present to give update. From all indications though, everything seems to be going fine.

Monster Cookie Mailing Statistics: Prior to the board meeting, David emailed the board a memo with an estimate of how many Monster Cookie riders signed up from registration forms mailed to an address list of former Monster Cookie riders, and how many riders signed up from registration forms mailed to addresses provided by the Portland Wheelman. At a future meeting there will be a discussion of continuing to use the additional addresses from the Portland Wheelman, or to use only our own addresses.

Bylaws for Santiam Spokes: The Santiam Spokes group has asked for a copy of our bylaws. There was general agreement that it is fine if they have a copy of our bylaws.

Siskiyou Velo Camping Request: Phil Gagnon of Siskiyou Velo in Ashland had emailed Larry about a location close to downtown Salem where 5 - 6 people could pitch their tents. They will be travelling through in early September on a self-supported ride from Eugene to Champoeg. Larry had suggested Willamette Mission, but Phil wanted a place closer to downtown. The board is not aware of a place downtown to pitch tents.

National Night Out: David manned an SBC booth at National Night Out. Cherriots had donated combination whistles/flashing lights. David felt our presence at the event was a positive for the community.

Membership Cards: David needs to order another batch of membership cards and wondered whether there continued to be a need for a physical card every year. The cards are used at bicycle shops to determine eligibility for the discount and only sending them every 5 years would make them less useful for that purpose. It was decided to continue with the annual cards.

Gift/Award Suggestions: The board briefly discussed suggestions for gifts and awards, but tabled it for future meetings when Hersch is present.

Link to Boys & Girls Club Flow Riders: David stated that every year at least we get a few inquiries concerning teen riders. The board discussed the ability (or lack thereof) to find out about the Flow Riders through our website. It was also mentioned that the Boys and Girls Club has plans for the bicycles/helmets that were formerly used for bicycle training in schools by a BTA trainer.

Confirmation of Special General Meetings: Mark requested confirmation that he should notify the First United Methodist Church that we will not be using the Carrier Room for general meetings on the 4th Tuesdays of August and November. The 4th Tuesday of August has been supplanted by the picnic on Sunday, August 19th. After discussion, the November general meeting with occur on the 4th Tuesday (the 27th), but will again be elections/potluck/swap-meet in the room adjacent to the kitchen. Mark will make arrangements with the Church.

Meeting adjourned by David Next Board meeting is September 11, 2012.

General Meeting Programs

September 28, 2012 Jeff McNamee Salem Area Trail Alliance "Salem Greenway Trail System".  & Members "Old Bike" show-off- bring your old bike to the meeting.
October 23, 2012 Exploring Europe...Powered by Ice Cream and Pizza Part 1 Donna Short and Doug Robin
November 27, 2012  Potluck, Elections and Swap Meet

September 11, 2012

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, J. Pink, A. Tanner, M. Lebow, D. Parrow, L. Miles, H. Sangster, S. Lundblad.

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $4,038.67
Ride Events $4,459.87
Money Market $21,209.92
PayPal $545.07
CD $10,010.60
Total $40,264.13

The CD matures 9/18 and any changes need to be made by 9/27. The Board approved the Treasurer taking the action deemed appropriate by the Treasurer.

Reimbursement for $171 to Jackie for postage on flyers to Oregon Bike Shops on the SBC major rides and $20 to David for poster items for the Salem Hospital Health Fair

Volunteer Items: Hersch asked about the number of items needed for Top Volunteers Awards. He is thinking of the Spibelts with the SBC logo on them. Cost might be about $25 each or so. Hersch also brought item getting enough to also give Speakers at the General Meeting. The Board approved this idea. Doug indicated that last year about 30 items were given. Hersch will check into the SpiBelt and get the hand tool recommended by the Bike Tire Repair speaker for the 10/500 award.

Road Animal Award: Sandra Lundblad presented a proposal for the Board to reinstitutes the Road Animal Award for members. The Board was in agreement with the proposal. A Work Group was form to work out the criteria and other details for the annual award. The Work Group will report back to the Board by December. Work Group: Hersch, Sandra, Larry and David.

Update - August 19th Picnic at Minto Brown: Preslee stated that close to 45 attended the picnic. The BBQ went well as did the short ride. This clearly was a success and will be an annual event. Preslee recommended that next year the Club should purchase the meat items/buns, as this would make the BBQ easier.

Peach of a Century & Spokes: Larry indicated all indications everything seems to be going fine. We will need a new Spokes Editor. Tom is retiring after providing great service in improving Spokes. Alex and Sandra have indicated that are willing to help on this.

Monster Cookie Mailing Statistics: David emailed earlier to the board a memo with an estimate of how many Monster Cookie riders signed up from registration forms mailed to an address list of former Monster Cookie riders, and how many riders signed up from registration forms mailed to addresses provided by the Portland Wheelman. At a future meeting there will be a discussion of continuing to use the additional addresses from the Portland Wheelman, or to use only our own addresses.

Salem Hospital Health Fair: David, Kathy, John and Hersch manned an SBC booth at Salem Hospital Employee Health Fair. David felt our presence at the event was a positive for the community and we answered a lot for bike/car safety questions. We also got several new riders to join us on some rides.

Elections: It is that time again for election. Doug and Larry will double check, but there appears to be 4 openings this next year on the Board. All members such are encouraged to apply. The openings will be announced at this month's general meeting

BTA and Boys & Girls Club Meeting: This Friday at 4 pm at the Boy's Girls Club will be a meeting on how the old BTA Bike School Program can be restarted and the items from that program can be used locally.

Larry and David will not be at this month's General Meeting, so Hersch will be the host.

Next Board meeting is October 9, 2012.

General Meeting Programs

October 23, 2012 Exploring Europe...Powered by Ice Cream and Pizza Part 1 Donna Short and Doug Robin
November 27, 2012 Potluck, Elections and Swap Meet
No Meeting in December 2012

October 10, 2012

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, J. Pink, A. Tanner, M. Lebow, D. Parrow, L. Miles, H. Sangster,

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $2,939.59
Ride Events $6,201.38
Money Market $21,211.66
PayPal $97.94
CD $10,010.60
Total $40,461.17

Reimbursement for $529.41 to Doug for postage, and flyers to Oregon Bike Shops and other on the SBC major rides, $45 was authorized for Doug to rent Clockworks for the Mapping Group and $93 was authorized to David to purchase membership cards.

SBC ride event budget report show that the SBC made $2,305.18 on the Peach this year.

Willamette Cycling: The person from the Willamette University Cycling group did not show.

Pratum School Safety Program: John brought up concerns over the program costs. He had talked with the other Board members before the meeting who had concerns too. All were concerned about administrative issues and if the cost could be lower if we had more volunteers. There was concern over the Boys and Girls Club involvement and the SBC's strong wish that they expand the bike safety program. Since Pratum is not in the Salem-Keizer School District, would the Boy's and Girl's Club be the one involved. The Board supports the Pratum plan, but wants it part of a larger bike safety program.

David will be meeting with Robert Fox to discuss the issues bought up and Larry will be meeting with the Boys & Girls Club to see if they can be more engaged and provide the leadership for a more expanded bike safety program, than just the limited Flow Riders.

Spokes Update: Alex will be taking over the Editorship of Spokes immediately. He will be picking up material from Tom this week.

Silverton Health: Silverton Health has asked to sponsor the SBC's major rides. Larry did research on the monies that this might mean to the SBC; it could be $5,000 - $10,000. Larry indicated that when he meets with Silverton Health this will be the figures he will have in mind to present to them. Larry, Doug, Alex and Hersch as an alternate will be the team that will meet with Silverton Health and discuss a sponsorship.

Jersey: Larry and Hersch will be working on the jerseys and hopefully they can be done before Christmas.
Next Board meeting is November 13, 2012.

Annual Banquet: The Banquet is on January 27 at Willamette University

General Meeting Programs

October 23, 2012 Exploring Europe...Powered by Ice Cream and Pizza Part 1 Donna Short and Doug Robin
November 27, 2012 Potluck, Elections and Swap Meet Note: Start Time will be 6 pm
No Meeting in December 2012
Annual Banquet January 27, 2013 - Willamette University
February 26. 2013 "Exploring Europe......Summer Comes on Saturdays" Part 2 Donna Short and Doug Robin
March 26, 2013 - Bike Tire Repair

November 13, 2012

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, J. Pink, M. Lebow, D. Parrow, L. Miles, H. Sangster

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $2.882.65
Ride Events $1,201.54
Money Market $26,213.27
PayPal $97.94
CD $10,044.58
Total $40,439.98

Road Animal Proposal: The formal proposal for bringing back the Road Animal Award was presented to the Board. The Board reviewed the criteria for the Road Animal and were in total agreement for it to start the award beginning in 2013. The Road Animal Award will be announced in the Spokes and at the Annual Banquet in January 2013. Special thanks to Sandra Lundblad for her help and insight on this award.

SBC Jerseys: Hersch has spoken with Voler about doing our jerseys. They have the design and are will to set-up a website for members to purchase from. SBC would not have to have an inventory of jerseys to maintain. They will not be able to have any done by Christmas, but could have sizing jerseys for us to have for members to size with by our Banquet. Jersey could be ready for ordering by April 1.

General Meeting & Elections: The meeting this month is our elections, potluck and swap meet. The Club will provide plates/utensils. A reminder will be sent out to get a quorum for the elections and to remind every one of the start time at 6 pm.

Spokes Update: Alex is delayed on getting Spokes out this month. Spokes should be out this week.

Map Committee Update: Doug will be meeting on November 15 at 5pm at Clockworks with the Committee to develop format for maps for the SBC rides. The maps will be available for riders on the website and can have links to Ride GPS that can be downloaded. Riders with GPS can download GPS information. Currently Ride GPS is free to the SBC, in the future Doug suggested we might want to pay them, since their information is so helpful to the SBC.

Banquet: The Banquet will be at Willamette University on January 27, 2013. The Board reviewed and approved the contact with Willamette and the caterer. The food and service will be the same as last year.

Next Board meeting is December 11, 2012.

General Meeting Programs

November 27, 2012 Potluck, Elections and Swap Meet Note: Start Time will be 6 pm
No Meeting in December 2012
Annual Banquet January 27, 2013 - Willamette University
February 26. 2013 "Exploring Europe......Summer Comes on Saturdays" Part 2 Donna Short and Doug Robin
March 26, 2013 - Bike Tire Repair
April 23, 2013 - Walking Tour of the Hallie Ford Museum

December 11, 2012

Present: D. Philbrick, P. Jeffers, J. Pink, M. Lebow, D. Parrow, L. Miles, H. Sangster, A. Tanner, E. Tilque, T.Tilque

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $1,782.73
Ride Events $1,201.56
Money Market $26,215.42
PayPal $97.94
CD $10,044.58
Total $39,342.23

Mark will be preparing a job description for the next Treasurer. Mark will be at the next Board meeting and is willing to give assistance to the next Treasurer. The Board will be selecting Officers at the January 2013 Board meeting. Right now Lisa M. has indicated an interest in the Treasurer position.

Hersch requested a check for $600 for Scott's Cyclery for the 10/500 items. Doug will be updating the Board's e-mail list to include the new members-Lisa Morriss and Kari Owen.

SBC Budget: David will be preparing the proposed 2013 budget and will be sending out to Board Members for review and discussion/decision at the January Board meeting.

Peach $1 for Helmets: Helmets for kids from $1 for each rider at the Peach were proposed at an early Peach Planning meeting. The Salem-Keizer Schools Foundation was approached to help with helmet handouts to kids. It was proposed that instead of just handing helmets out, that actual fitting of helmets be done as has been done at other local helmet programs. Volunteers from the SBC could help with this.

Eileen will take this request to Salem-Keizer School Foundation. Hersch is willing to help with the fitting process. Eileen also asked that SBC pay the $100 shipping so that she could use more of the Peach monies to buy more helmets. The Board approved the expenditure.

BTA Update: Larry spoke with the Boys & Girls Club about their progress on developing a bike training program beyond the Flow Riders. They have obtained a grant from Kaiser and are able to get the BTA bikes and a trailer for transporting them. They are hoping that early spring classes could start. It was suggested that someone from the Boys and Girls Club attend a future SBC Board Meeting to give an update.

LAB Insurance: Larry reviewed the Club's LAB insurance which covers the Cub's activities and rides. LAB has indicated that the cost will be going up next year. The Board discussed the coverage. The Club has had this coverage for some time. There does not appear to be any coverage better at the same cost in the market. The Board approved the continued LAB coverage.

Banquet: The Banquet will be at Willamette University on January 27, 2013. Larry will be helping with registration/AV media. As president he will be doing a year in review talk. He will also be mentioning the 2013 Road Animal Award process. Hersch should have jerseys to view/fit and a website for member to purchase from by the Banquet. Doug will have list for the awards. The Board will talk more about the Banquet at the January 2013 Board meeting

Next Board meeting is January 8, 2013.

General Meeting Programs.

Annual Banquet January 27, 2013 - Willamette University
February 26. 2013 "Exploring Europe......Summer Comes on Saturdays" Part 2 Donna Short and Doug Robin
March 26, 2013 - Bike Tire Repair John Sangster
April 23, 2013 - Walking Tour of the Hallie Ford Museum

 

 

 

 

 

 

©2007-2008 Salem Bicycle Club