Home
Weekly Rides
Event Rides
Newsletter
Club Business
Report Map Issues
Membership
Links
Contact Us
Sign In

2011 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

 

January 18, 2011

Present: B. Luoma, L. Miles, G. Schopfer, J. Dewey, M. Lebow, D. Parrow, K. Shribbs, J. Lefevre, J. Pink

Treasurer’s Report 

Operating Fund  $1,254.48
Ride Events  $414.48
Money Market  $16,206.78
Bank of the Cascades  $15,101.97
PayPal  $156.84
Total $33,134.55

BSE Contribution: The donation for Bicycle Education has been placed in suspense until a review of the program is made. The SBC needs to know how the donation is used in the Salem/Keizer area.

Update on Banquet Awards: The awards for the Annual Banquet have been ordered and will be in hand for the Banquet. The  Road Animal awards will be mailed to the recipients.

Review of the Volunteer Points: The Board accepted the volunteer point summary as presented by Doug Parrow. These points are based on what and how often a person volunteers for a club activity. A motion was made to award the club bookkeeper 25 points reflecting the work load of this position. The motion was carried.

Banquet Program and Time Frame: The program and timing for the annual banquet was reviewed and tasks were assigned. Volunteer recognition was discussed. It was recommended that they be recognized in groups. Jackie Lefevre volunteered to make the center pieces for the banquet tables.

Monster Cookie Registration Fee: A motion was made to increase the amount of the registration, lunch, and T shirt costs for the Monster Cookie ride. The increase reflects the increased costs to put on the event rides. The Board decided to increase registration to $18 advanced, $25 day of ride. Lunch will be $7. T shirts will be $15 in advance and $17 day of ride.
 
Meeting adjourned. Next board meeting is February 15, 2011.

February 15, 2011

Present: J. Dewey, B. Luoma, M. Lebow, D. Philbrick, J. Pink, D. Parrow, K. Shribbs. Guest : J. Lefevre

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $4,586.23
Ride Events $304.83
Money Market $9,714.30
Bank of the Cascades $15,324.02
PayPal $815.53
Total  $30,744.91

Board Officers: It was moved and seconded that for the year 2011 the following board members will serve in the positions of:

Vice President - Larry Miles
Secretary - George Schopfer
Treasurer - Mark Lebow
Membership - David Philbrick

2011 Operating Budget: Following review and discussions it was moved and seconded to approve the 2011 budget with a mid-year review to determine if adjustments need to be made. As an additional part of the financial discussions it was agreed the club would move to eliminate one of the checking accounts now being used.

Revised "Request for Donation" Form: The board reviewed a draft of a revision to our club donation request form. The form remains short and application friendly but there were needed improvements to the existing form. It was moved and seconded to accept the revision. It will be made available immediately online and new hard copies of the form will also be available.

Monthly Door Prizes: It was moved and seconded to discontinue the door prize drawings at the SBC monthly general meetings. There has been no indication that the drawings are improving attendance at the meetings which was the intent when the drawings were started

Ride Sheets: To simplify the data entry for ride coordinators and for later review by Dave Philbrick there is an article in this edition of the newsletter asking riders to be clear about their rider numbers (ways to remember it, etc) and also if they want to be tracked in the club mileage database (which members can opt out if they are not interested).

Spokes Editor: It was reported that we have a new editor "team" for our newsletter. Thank you, Tom and Eileen Tilque.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is March 15, 2011.

March 15, 2011

Present: B. Luoma, L. Miles, G. Schopfer, J. Dewey, M. Lebow, D. Parrow, D. Philbrick, J. Lefevre, J. Pink

BTA Request for Donation Presentation: Robert Fox and LeeAnne Fergason made a presentation requesting a donation of $5,000 from the Salem Bicycle Club to support the Bicycle Education Program in the Salem-Keizer School District. The BTA gets a grant from ODOT of $45,000 to provide this program statewide. Total cost of the program in the Salem-Keizer School District is $9,000 per year. It teaches safe cycling to approximately 250 4th, 5th and 6th grade students in our area. The Board discussed the donation and voted to approve the $5,000 donation for this year.

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $3,646.98
Ride Events 2,708.28
Money Market 9,720.83
Bank of the Cascades 15,324.02
PayPal 632.19
Total $32,032.30

Update on Bank Accounts: Mark Lebow reported that our bank decided to not charge fees on nonprofit organization bank accounts if $,1000 was kept in the account. New signature cards were signed. Doug Parrow reported that with the new computer and software needed to publish the Spokes Newsletter, he would need a reimbursement of $2,000. He will submit documentation for the reimbursement. Board approved this.

Double Booking the Monster Cookie: Larry Miles reported that the Monster Cookie start and a March at the Capitol were booked for the same day. A meeting will be held March 17, 2011, 9:15, at the Anderson Room of the Public Library among the City, State, and others to iron this out. JoAnn Dewey, Larry Miles, and Doug Parrow will attend for the Club. Hopefully the conflicts in the double booking will be resolved.

Peach Coordinator Needed: Larry Miles will not be available to coordinate the Peach of a Century this year. The Club needs a coordinator for this event. Larry volunteered to write and article for Spokes looking for a coordinator.

Reconciling Day of Ride Receipts: The Board discussed the problem of reconciling the day of ride registrations with the cash receipts from the day of the event. Recognizing that the day of ride is a confusing time, the Board discussed security of the cash and other problems with a large turnout on the day of ride. Doug Parrow said that a comparison between the day of ride registrations and the cash deposits could be made easily after the registrations are entered into the database.

Banquet Recommendations: Recommendations to improve the Banquet will be requested at the March General Meeting.

Other Items

Maintaining members whose membership has lapsed. Discussion for April meeting.
Boy Scout Event. Dave Philbrick said the event went fine.
Salem Keizer Foundation Cycle event. September time frame. Need more info.
Jersey question. Board approved use of Club logo on clothing.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is April 19, 2011.

April 19, 2011

Present: B. Luoma, L. Miles, G. Schopfer, J. Dewey, M. Lebow, D. Parrow, D. Philbrick, J. Lefevre, J. Pink, K. Schribbs

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $4,015.29
Ride Events $9,251.88
Money Market $4,722.18
Bank of the Cascades $15,324.02
PayPal $3,728.47
Total $37,041.84

Financial Report: Jackie Lefevre gave the quarterly financial report to the Board. Expenditures were high because the donations that were approved were made in this quarter. The Board approved the report.

Updating the Website: Doug Parrow said that the price of club clothing was reduced on the website. If any clothing remains after they have been offered at the reduced price, they may be used as incentives for the Flow Riders.

The Rides Calendar needs to be updated so that someone editing it cannot delete it accidentally. There is no need to delete the calendar. Doug requested $150 to $250 to make this program change.

Monster Cookie Update: Larry Miles reported that all was in order. The Kiwanis is providing volunteers for Champoeg site and the Scott's Cycle Larry Lewis will be manning the Rest Stop. Keizer Police are on board with the ride. Could be in excess of 1200 riders. Mailed in registrations should be all entered before the ride without any problems.

Summer Potluck: A suggestion was made to have a summer potluck. Presley Jeffers offered to coordinate it. It is tentatively set for the August General Meeting. More details to come later.

General Meeting Attendance: Board discussed how to increase General Meeting attendance. This discussion expanded to include what do members want from the club? How much do members want to come to meetings regardless of the programs? Board members are going to survey club members to get opinions on what members want from the club.

Other Items:

A young rider came on one of the weekend rides but had trouble completing the ride. The ride was not a High Wheeler ride. The Board discussed what obligation the ride leader had to this rider. The general opinion was if the rider couldn't complete the ride, he should ride with the Flow Riders, a family member, or ride on the High Wheeler ride.
A ride coordinator for the Peach ride is still needed.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is May 17, 2011.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Present: B. Luoma, L. Miles, G. Schopfer, J. Dewey, M. Lebow, D. Parrow, J. Pink, K. Schribbs, Preslee Jeffers

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $10,863.84
Ride Events $5,381.76
Money Market $19,722.18
Bank of the Cascades $15,324.02
PayPal $160.93
Total $51,452.73

There are still bills to pay from the Monster Cookie ride.

Summer Social Event.: Preslee Jeffers gave a report of his research into a summer social event/ barbecue. He originally thought that this would be an approximately 200 person catered event and had researched caterers and locations that would be available in August on a Sunday. After discussion, the Board advised Preslee to scale back the social event to a potluck picnic at a Salem location with an estimated attendance of 40 to 50 people. The club would provide tableware, plates, and soft drinks. Adults could bring alcoholic beverages as desired. Preferred date of the event would be August 21 depending on availability of location. The August 23rd meeting would be canceled.

Monster Cookie Recap: Larry Miles gave a recap of the Monster Cookie Ride. There were more than 1800 riders. There was one accident and Larry filed a report with Marion County. He will keep contact with the accident victim and follow up. There have been no complaints about the ride and many positive comments. Thank you Larry for a great ride.

Cycle Challenge: The Board approved paying for one mailing. After discussion, it was decided that the Board would support a budget item supporting future mailings for the Cycle Challenge.

Request for Donation: The Board received a request for donation from Friends of Saturday Market for $200 to support a bike corral for shoppers. After discussion, the Board approved the donation and will monitor the location and management of the bike corral at the Saturday Market. Some members of the Board thought that at some point, the market should provide this service like they do vehicle parking.

Smart Cycling Poster: Board discussed a request to use the club logo on the poster advertising Gary Obery's Smart Cycling Poster. The use was approved. Doug Parrow volunteered to help Gary material development.

Survey on General Meetings Attendance: Ride leaders were asked to survey riders as to what they wanted for General Meetings. They requested a more formal approach. Mark Lebow agreed to chair a committee to survey a sample of the membership using a scripted program. A topic of a future General Meeting may be a visioning meeting for club activities. The question was raised "Does the club need a Facebook page". Doug Parrow said he would look into how the page would work for the club.

Other Items: Reflective leg bands were approved for donation to Bicycle Education.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is June 21, 2011.

June 21, 2011

Present: B. Luoma, G. Schopfer, J. Dewey , M. Lebow, J. Pink, K. Schribbs, D. Philbrick

Guest from Marion County: Don Russo, Economic Development Manager from Marion County requested to meet with the Board. He did not make the meeting.

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $1,245.10
Ride Events $2,376.58
Money Market $19,726.32
Bank of the Cascades $15,324.02
PayPal $160.93
Total $38,832.95

Peach Ride: Larry Miles is searching for a ride coordinator for this event but no one is confirmed yet. Dave Philbrick also said he would approach people for this position. Ride is on 9/25/2011 so this must happen soon.

Request from Gervais Art Festival: JoAnn Dewey received a request from the Gervais Art Festival to help with signs for their bike event. They are too late this year to put on the bike event because of county permits required, but they requested to use the signs next year. The Board approved the request in principal but will require a deposit. JoAnn said she would contact Gervais with this information.

Donation Request for Bike Corral: The Board approved a donation to the Salem Saturday Market for the bike corral. John Pink checked out if the bike corral existed and could not find it. The Board has suspended the donation. The Board later found out that the bike corral has been suspended for this year.

Smart Cycling Poster: Board tabled this discussion until the July meeting.

Survey on General Meetings Attendance: Mark Lebow presented a sample questionnaire to the Board to survey the club membership on meeting preferences. Mark took the Board comments and will edit the questionnaire. The will be presented at the July Board meeting.

Other Items:

Leann Ferguson, of the BTA, submitted a report on how the 2011 club's donation was spent. This Spring in the Salem Keizer School District the bike safety program was given in three schools and a total of six classes were taught with the $5,000 donation. The Board then discussed this program and this donation going forward. Maybe a summertime bike safety camp would reach more children than trying to do this while the children are in school. Maybe this project would be a better fit for the Boys and Girls Club or some like organization.
Summer Social for the club is August 21st at Minto Brown park, from 2 to 6 PM. This substitutes for the August General Meeting. There will be a Sunday morning ride only on this day.
Mark Lebow suggested that along with Board meeting date in Spokes and on the website, a statement should say "Contact President to be placed on the agenda". The Board approved this suggestion.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is July 19, 2011.

July 19, 2011

Present: B. Luoma, G. Schopfer, J. Dewey , J. Pink, D. Philbrick, D. Parrow, L. Miles

Guest from Marion County: Don Russo, Economic Development Manager from Marion County, requested to meet with the Board. He told us that the new ferry fare schedule that Marion County adopted was approved by a ferry user committee that contained cyclists from the Salem Bicycle Club. The fare increase caught the Board by surprise so the County delayed implementation of the fare for cyclists until August 6, 2011. Mr. Russo suggested that the SBC could put a deposit of $100 down on each of the ferries for cyclists that are caught without money to pay the fare. The Board discussed the situation after Mr. Russo left. The Board rejected the deposit suggestion but told Mr. Russo that if cyclists have to pay for transport on the ferry, then pedestrians should also pay. He said he would take our suggestion to the County Commissioners.

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $ 1,151.08
Ride Events $ 2,376.58
Money Market $19,730.38
Bank of the Cascades $15,324.02
PayPal $ 359.38
Total $38,961.44

JoAnn Dewey passed out the Budgeted to Actual financial report. Doug Parrow made a study of registrations versus receipts for the Peach ride. Revenues came out slightly higher than the registrations. This was probably from items sold.

Assignment of $1 per rider registration from Peach 2011: Board voted to provide the $1 per registration to the support of the Flow Riders Program with the Boys and Girls Club.

Older SBC laptop computer: The Club purchased a larger computer for the Editor of Spokes. The Board approved the sale of the computer. If it doesn't sell, it may be donated to a charity.

Peach of a Century event coordinators: Eileen and Cindy have volunteered to coordinate this years Peach. Larry Miles is working with them to get them started on permits and permissions that need to be obtained. Larry is also updating the Peach instruction book so the coordinators can reference it. It should be a great event.

Smart Cycling Poster: Doug Parrow will be instructing the August program of the Smart Cycling program.

Summer Potluck: JoAnn Dewey said she will contact Preslee Jeffers to see if he needs anything for the August 21 picnic. Members can bring beer to the picnic and it is recommended that you bring enough to share with others.

Jesse Simmons request: Jesse Simmons of Moving-Planet.org wanted support for a rally from the club. JoAnn Dewey will contact Jesse and offer an article in Spokes.

Kuebler Widening and Curb Cuts: A club member suggested the Club request curb cuts on Kuebler where the paths come out of the neighborhoods. The Board thought it would promote dangerous riding by giving easy access from quiet traffic areas to Kuebler.

Other Items:

Suggestion to revise web page to be more inviting to non-members. Doug Parrow will work on this. Club wants to reinforce the fact that you don't need to be a member to ride on club rides.
Salem Health Fair will be sometime in September. George Schopfer has volunteered to man a table representing the club.
Doug Parrow and John Pink will represent the Club at Santana Park in August.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is August 16, 2011.

August 16, 2011

Present: JoAnn Dewey, Bob Luoma, John Pink, Keith Shribbs, Larry Miles, and Mark Lebow (scribe)

Treasurer's Report:

Operating Fund $1,246.57
Ride Events $5,357.67
Money Market $ 14,730.38
PayPal $791.49
CD $15,324.02
Total $37,450.13

Peach Of A Century Update: Larry Miles says the preparation is progressing well. Things are falling into place with Cindy and Eileen.

Lending SBC Road Signs: Discussed a for-profit company's request to borrow/rent our event road signs. The board decided to let them know that EZ Rental has Bike Event Ahead signs for rent. The board further agreed to only loan signs to Oregon not-for-profit bicycle clubs, and with the stipulation that they sign a damage replacement agreement.

SBC Jerseys: Larry is looking into acquiring new jerseys (in American sizes).

Stolen Bicycle: A club member had asked the board to contribute to replacing a bicycle stolen from one of the Flow Riders. While the board sympathizes with the bicycle owner, we do not want to begin contributing to the purchase of bicycles for individuals. The Salem Bicycle Club provides on-going financial support to the Flow Rider program.

November Meeting Dates Changed (due to Thanksgiving)

Board Meeting - November 8th
General Meeting - November 15th

General meeting will be a potluck/swap meet. The location will be the dining room of the First United Methodist Church (same entrance as the Carrier Room, but is down a short hallway to the left).

Summer Potluck Update: There appears to be a nice number of people signed up. No known problems. Presley Jeffer's efforts are appreciated.

Salem Health and Benefit Fair: The board has agreed to have a presence at the Salem Health and Benefit Fair. George Schopfer and John Pink will participate.

Special Needs Rider Request: The board received a request from the mother of an adult special needs rider for the board to allow the rider to participate in club rides (without the mother). The rider is physically able, but needs firm guidance. The board agrees that the rides would probably be good for the person. But the board also feels someone experienced with developmentally disabled individuals would need to accompany the person. Larry Miles will include a request for a volunteer in an article in the upcoming Spokes issue.

Miscellaneous: The board briefly discussed the need to start making room/food arrangements for the January banquet. Keith will look into it.

Board member nominations are needed at the September general meeting. Elections should occur at the November meeting, we would like to have good attendance at the November meeting for the elections.

Submitted by Mark Lebow

September 19, 2011

Present: B. Luoma, G. Schopfer, J. Dewey , K. Schribbs, D. Parrow, M. Lebow

Treasurer's Report:

Operating Fund $6,694.05
Ride Events $5,357.67
Money Market 414,737.67
Bank of the Cascades $15,324.02
PayPal $580.90
Total $42,694.31

The CD is coming up for renewal. The Board authorized Mark Lebow to use his best judgement as to splitting the CD amount in to two CDs or make other arrangements as he thought would benefit the club.

Peach of a Century: Pre-registration is at 379 at this time. This is a little down from last year. All arrangements for the Peach are on track for a great ride.

Lending SBC signs: The Board decided last Board Meeting that club signs would be loaned only to non-profit bike clubs. Other requests to borrow club signs would be referred to rental companies.

SBC Jerseys: Larry Miles has not heard back from the vendor as of the meeting.

Upcoming Programs:

October program will be a talk on OBRA by either Omer Kem or Kenji Sugahara.
The November program is a Club Potluck and Bicycle Swap Meet.

Summer Potluck: This event turned out very well and it was recommended to the Board that it be made an annual event. We thank Preslee Jeffers for organizing the potluck.

Web Page Updates: Doug Parrow reported on updates that he thought would make our system better. Doug recommended that we stop using the Forum and use Facebook instead for getting information out to club members. Members can either check the website or friend the club's Facebook page to get announcements. Doug also recommended improving the entry of rides information into the rides calendar by developing a rides database where the ride information would transfer over to the calendar more easily. Doug said he would work with the Rides Committee Chair to see what would work best.

Banquet: The Club Banquet will be held at Willamette University in January. The exact date will depend on availability of facilities at Willamette. The program will be a recap of Club events for the year, possibly a report from Kiawanis about their scholarship program, Flow Rider activities, and recognition of club volunteers.

Other Items.

10/500 and Road Animal gifts were discussed.
Salem Hospital Health Fair will be September 29. George Schopfer has volunteered to man a table representing the club.
Doug Parrow had some reimbursements to be approved by the Board. Meeting adjourned.

Next Board meeting is October 18, 2011.

October 18, 2011

Present: B. Luoma, G. Schopfer, J. Dewey, K. Schribbs, D. Parrow, M. Lebow, J. Pink, L. Miles, D. Philbrick

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $4,533.17
Ride Events $4,176.50
Money Market $13,186.52
Bank of the Cascades $10,000.00
PayPal $197.34
Total $32,093.53

The Board considered the financial report submitted by Jackie Lefevre. The Board discussed budget and expense amounts. Also the expenses from the Peach ride were discussed. The food expenses for the Peach were higher than expected. The Board decided that in the future, lunches would be ordered only for the pre-registered riders. Day of ride people would be on their own.

SBC Jerseys: Larry Miles said the designer was still working on the jerseys.

Upcoming Programs
October program will be a talk on OBRA by either Omer Kem or Kenji Sugahara.
The November 15th program is a Club Potluck and Bicycle Swap Meet and starts at 06:30. The November 15th meeting is also when the elections for Board and new officers will take place.
No General Meeting in December.

Marion County Signs and Permits: Marion County Public Works sent the club a letter outlining changes to the sign and marking requirements on event rides. Public Works now requires all road signs to be the rollup type with the crash resistant spring loaded base. Route markings are no longer permitted to be painted on the road surface. Route markings must be a paper on lath sign driven into the ground beside the road. Examples were provided in the letter. Larry Miles is going to arrange a meeting with Public Works to see if some accommodation can be made for club events. Doug Parrow will gather information from other event ride organizers that use Marion County roads to see how they are going to react to these changes in signage.

Weekly SBC club rides/Improving the maps: Doug Parrow and the Rides Committee agreed that the club needed to pare down the number of routes in the club's files and chose the best routes. Once this is done, the maps and directions can be redrawn and made into PDF files that could be accessed from the rides calendar. The goal is to let the rider look at the map and the directions from the rides calendar prior to going on the ride. A suggestion was made that after the routes are modernized, they be compiled into a book of rides for sale.

Banquet: The Club Banquet will be held at Willamette University on either January 22 or 29. The program will be a recap of Club events for the year, recognition of club volunteers, recognition of significant cycling events and accomplishments.

Other Items.: JoAnn Dewey asked all the Board members to review the bylaws before the next Board Meeting.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is November 8, 2011.

November 9, 2011

Present: B. Luoma, G. Schopfer, J. Dewey, K. Schribbs, D. Parrow, M. Lebow, J. Pink, L. Miles, D. Philbrick

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $4,373.92
Ride Events $4,176.50
Money Market $13,186.52
Bank of the Cascades $10,000.00
PayPal $197.34
Total $31,933.66

All bills from the Peach ride have been paid except for a bill from Easy Orchards. Mark Lebow said he would follow up.

December Board Meeting: Meeting was moved to Monday, December 12, 2011 at the Boys and Girls Club.

Marion County Road Signs: Discussion tabled until next meeting.

SBC Jerseys: Larry Miles said that Randy Thomas will have some designs for the new jerseys ready sometime in January. As a side note Larry informed the Board that Bill Church, editor of the Statesman Journal, asked Larry to write a bicycling column in an expanded outdoor section of the paper. Larry will be recruiting other contributors for this project.

General Meeting Programs

November 15: Pot Luck, Swap Meet, and Elections. Bylaws were reviewed by the Board. A nomination for VP is required. There are enough candidates to fill all the Board openings.
December: No General Meeting.
January 2012: Annual Meeting January 29

Banquet: The Club Banquet will be held at Willamette University on January 29, 2012, from 6 to 9 PM. The contracts need to be signed. The location will be the Cat Cavern. After discussion, the Board approved a price increase of the banquet from $12 to $15 per person. The Club subsidizes the rest of the costs.  Registration will be available on line and by form in the January Spokes. An alert will be placed in Spokes to remind members to register early. Local bicycle shops will be given two complimentary tickets.
The program will be a recap of Club events for the year, a program to be announced, and recognition of club volunteers. Remaining tasks and responsibilities for the Banquet program will be made at the next Board meeting

Club Storage Unit: Thursday December 8th at 10 AM, there will be a cleanup and inventory of the SBC storage unit. Anyone who wants to help should contact any of the Board members for directions to the unit.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is December 12, 2011.

December 12, 2011

Present: B. Luoma, G. Schopfer, J. Dewey , K. Schribbs, D. Parrow, M. Lebow, J. Pink, L. Miles, D. Philbrick, A. Tanner, P. Jeffers, H. Sangster, and K. Haas

New Board: New Board Members were introduced. They are Alex Tanner, Preslee Jeffers, and Hersch Sangster. Departing Board members are JoAnn Dewey, Keith Schribbs, and George Schopfer.

Treasurer's Report

Operating Fund $1,859.31
Ride Events $4,176.50
Money Market $13,186.52
Bank of the Cascades $9,999.38
PayPal $197.34
Total $29,419.05

2012 Tandem Rally: Kurt Haas made a presentation requesting club support for the 2012 Northwest Tandem Rally. This will take place June 29 to July 2, 2012 in Salem on the Willamette University Campus. Kurt was requesting club support and volunteers to work on this ride. Saturday and Sunday are the two ride days. Ride distances are from 30 to 90 miles. Grace McCabe is the Chair for this event. Board moved to make this a Club eligible ride subject to the approval of the Rides Committee. Board also moved to aid this ride in any way possible. There will also be a short presentation about the 2012 Tandem Rally at the January Banquet.

Treasurer and Secretary Positions: Mark Lebow will retain the position of Treasurer while recruiting a Treasurer trainee. Hersch Sangster volunteered to be the new Secretary. John Pink volunteered to help on programs for the General meetings.

Marion County Road Signs: Larry Miles and David Philbrick met with Marion County Public Works concerning new requirements for signage on event rides. Representatives from Portland Wheelmen were also at the meeting. The main problem concerning Public Works was the number of bicycling events occurring in the County and complaints from some of the public that these events were allowed. Larry and David said that the signage requirements would be phased in over the next five years. They expect a letter from the County sometime in December outlining the County's requirements and position. The ODOT standard seems to be vague on signage requirements on cycling events.

SBC Jerseys: The Board looked at samples of jersey designs that Randy Thomas created. After some discussion, it was moved that Board members send any comments and suggestions to Larry Miles on jersey design. The goal is to come up with three designs to submit to the Club membership for approval.

JoyRide Cycle: JoyRide cycling wanted to use the club's email database to promote JoyRide Cycle Studio. Doug Parrow responded to this request. Doug said that the Club does not have an email database and made some other observations to the owner to give his perspective on indoor versus outdoor cyclists. Doug suggested that maybe the Club could arrange a winter indoor ride at the studio to take the place of a Wednesday night ride. Topic tabled for future discussion.

General Meeting Programs

January 2012: Annual Meeting January 29
February 2012: Furnace Creek 508 Race - John Henry Maurice, Feb 28
March 2012: State Scenic Byway - Alex Phillips, March 27

Banquet: Board discussed arrangements and made assignments for the Annual Banquet. The Club Banquet will be held at Willamette University on January 29, 2012, from 6 to 9 PM. The cost will be $15 per person/ $12 for children. Registration will be available on line and by form in the January Spokes. An alert will be placed in Spokes to remind members to register early. Local bicycle shops will be given two complimentary tickets. The program will be a recap of Club events for the year, 2012 Northwest Tandem Rally, and recognition of club volunteers. There will be a number of free items, socks, cups, T shirts, available on a first come first served basis.

Meeting adjourned. Next Board meeting is January 10, 2012.

©2007-2008 Salem Bicycle Club